It's Alive! Barn rescue.

RFeng

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
This 1977 Special got thrown in with the purchase of another bike as a parts bike. It is really trashed. I know it has been a donor bike for well over 18 years - likely longer. Dribbled Marvel Mystery oil onto the pistons as soon as it got home with me and let it sit for a couple weeks adding more from time to time slowly kicking it over.

Today I started working on it - cleaned the carbs well, and bypassed everything electrical but the ignition. I just filled the bowls with gas and used a battery charger as a battery... It fired up second kick.

Have not adjusted or balanced carbs - I think I set mixture screws 2 turns out when I put them back together. I just needed to know if I had an engine or not.

I've applied for a new title - I hope that comes through with no issues..but am pleased to have a project :) I'm leaning towards something other than stock restoration - I don't really have skills (read 'skills' as $$) for a showpiece - I think I'll just see where it goes - something fun to ride.

Pointless vid - this is the third start-up - but that's all I got. I was entertained to see it walking backward on the kickstand as I stepped back.

I'm pretty sure they all dance around on a concrete floor like you said.
Next time you start it up you should leave you're wooden clogs at the door. Lol.

RFeng
I hope the rest goes as easily. It sure is quiet for those shorty slash cut(?)/turn out(?) pipes.
Welcome to the site.

My tracker sits much higher than a stock 650. Kickstand angle very dangerous IMO. I made a 2x6 plus 1/2 plywood plate to put under the stand. After also watching it dance to the point of almost falling off that wood riser, I added another piece of 1/2 inch plywood, with a hole in it to rest the kickstand foot in. No more problem with possible falling.

Thanks for the comments and the welcome. I've been stealing info from here for years - you guys have taught me a lot - I hope I'm able to contribute something helpful from time to time.

I was surprised how quiet it was too. I don't think the neighbors agree that its quiet..but I really did expect it to be louder. The kick stand on this is something home-made by a previous owner - that will have to change - it does sit up pretty vertical.

Until the title comes through I won't be throwing much into it. I think I will remove much of the wiring harness today - leaving the charging system and ignition for now and adding the rest as I decide I need it. It appears the charging system still works(!). I've stayed with points and the original charging system on my other 650's ('75 and '79 Special) and have had very few problems so I'm inclined to do the same on this one.

I was thinking when I picked it up that being in the shape it was in it wouldn't matter too much if I started cutting on it - now that it showed some life I'm torn. lol

bruce

I can understand the turmoil. If it knock/banged or clattered it would be easier.
Her just purring like a kitten on a pillow makes it tough. And the fact the rest of the bike looks to be in good shape also.

Here's an update on the '77 that started this post...

Getting the title issued was easy in MN. Bill of sale, statement of facts and narrative of why it had no title. Pics of VIN numbers and all 4 sides of the bike. I put the stock parts in place best as I could for the photo's - some of the parts are just sitting on there. Took a couple weeks and the title was in my hands.

I started working on it in November in a very cold garage. This being far northern Minnesota there were not many days between November and March that I could work on it. Over the winter I bought a bunch of parts from guys on this forum as they struck my fancy and put it together as best as I could - This is the first time I've done this.

Here's what it looks like - before (a pic from the title process) and as of yesterday.
It's not done but I rode it for the first time Saturday and I'm pretty stoked. I'll ride it and get it just the way I want it this summer, then - if I feel like it - I'll tear it down and make it pretty. Might even add a rear fender and turn signals.

Thanks for the forum all you who post! And thanks for the parts those of you who recognize your 'cast-offs'.

Bruce

Attachments

• home.jpg
    home.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 197
  • shake.jpg
    shake.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 208
wow. looks amazingly different. I like the dual head lights. As for turn signals, I only run rears, because if I find myself running up on the fuzz, I can just turn off, and chill for a bit. But if one comes up behind me, I have working turns. Suckers!!:laugh:

Thanks Angus! As I said, this is my first build.
I was just thinking about how much of this build was from 'cast off' parts...and then started to try to remember all the bits I put into it. Here's a list of what was added...

All Balls tapered bearings in neck.
New tires, tubes, rims, spokes, hubs, rear sprocket (31 tooth) and bearings from classifieds on this forum.
Front fork brace from Hugh's Hand Built.
Rebuilt Caliper and Master Cyl with Mikes XS parts.
Braided Stainless Steel brake line.
Visual Impact Brat kit from classifieds.
Burly Slammer shocks from a classifieds.
Sportster tank from a classifieds
Seat from a classifieds.
Headlight's, Handlebars and seat hinge from classifieds
Taillight/license plate bracket from E-bay.
Points, plugs, condensor, coils & plug wires from Mike's XS.
Swingarm and rear brake linkage from a member of the forum.
Swingarm Bushings from Mikes XS.
Chain and 17 tooth drive sprocket from Mike's
Solid state rectifier/regulator from...somewhere.
Petcock and gas cap from...somewhere.
Clutch lever, brake lever, cables, perches and gas lines from Mike's
Throttle from...somewhere.
Small glass mat battery and fuse panel from local auto parts place.
Forward controls and linkage from classifieds.
Fork seals and dust covers from Mikes
Grips from classifieds.
Uni-Pod air filters from...somewhere.
Titanium pipe wrap from...somewhere.
Mini Tach & Speedo from classifieds.
Tack and speedo cables from Mikes
I think that's about it. :)

bruce

Attachments

• bobbed2 005.jpg
    bobbed2 005.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
I was trying to visualize a bike shop service ticket with all those entries.

And the 5-figure total at the bottom.

Some folks would ask "Why?".

Hard to explain this passion...

lol! Yea - kinda nuts if you think about it.

In a list it looks a lot worse than it actually was. I got the bike 'free' when I bought my '79 - and I have under $2k in parts into it. I figure the education and confidence I got doing this is worth that...plus, I got to learn to weld (poorly).

Yep. I like wrenching stuff over actually using it as intended. Befor I got my71 up n running, the po just wanted it to run again after sitting 20 years. I did it for free. rebuilt the carbs, adjusted the chain, some small maintenance things here and there. now its mine . the hard work 4 years ago paid off.. I paid 3k for a bike potentially worth 6k, so I don't mind yanking the motor just to see the condition of the jugs.

Well... I've put a little over 500 miles on the '77 since I got it on the road a couple weeks ago. Wow, is that thing fun. I've only had a few bikes in my life and only spent a lot of riding time on a Suzuki 750 and my 75 XS650. Compared to those, the bobbed '77 just screams.

It's geared 17/31 and the only downside I see right now is from a standing stop - I'm riding the clutch a bit there to keep from bogging down. At 60 or 65 it's very comfortable cruising, and at around 70 a twist on the throttle makes me hang on for dear life. It wants to go faster, real fast :). I'm still in shakedown cruise mode - so I'm not sure I want to see how fast it will go. Yet.

I love the low center of gravity - it's handling is really quick and responsive. I almost passed on the forward controls when I was putting the bike together - I'm really glad I put them on. It's really a nice riding position - except when I find some of the bigger bumps in the road. The ride is rough compared to standard suspension. I've got the shocks set at the minimum but I cringe a bit seeing the bumps on some of the roads around here. Frost heaving of the roads around here is brutal. With just forward controls I've got no way to take some big bumps with my legs supporting some of my weight. I had removed my stock pegs - I may put those or something else on the bike.

I've pretty much ignored the 79 and 75 this spring and thought I should excercise them a little. Yesterday I rode both - and could not believe how my knees were nearly to my chest. (at least that's what it felt like) I have always loved the ride on my 75 - but it sure felt heavy and cumbersome yesterday. Sure a comfy ride though compared to the short, stiff, angled shocks of the 77.

For trips of any length I'll still take one of the stock bikes. Fenders, turn signals, real headlights and extra room to carry stuff is pretty handy.

Things to do...

I had bought a cheap 3/8 NPT petcock for the Sportster tank. Of course it leaks. A new Golan Click-Slick petcock should be here tomorrow. $100 for a petcock is nuts, but my wife is gonna make me live in the garage if I keep coming in with my pants smelling like gasoline.

It's tough to find neutral sometimes. There is a little 'play' in the forward controls...but not 'that' much. I feel like I should be able to improve it. Some have suggested to try some different oil and see what happens. Any suggestions from the brain trust?

The stock master cyl. I rebuilt works great...but feels very stiff once I got the braided stainless brake lines on. (It's also pretty ugly sitting way up there) Smaller master cyl is in the future. Any suggestions?

bruce

Last edited:
I think I figured out what to do with that "Sportster" logo til I paint.

Am I mad? Have I lost all perspective?

Attachments

• ace.jpg
    ace.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 128
  • sideace.jpg
    sideace.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 132
I think I figured out what to do with that "Sportster" logo til I paint.

Am I mad? Have I lost all perspective?

Yes, you have.

It's important to understand motivation, and how to stimulate it.

For example, replace that Ace-of-Spades overlay with some of these:

hello-kitty-vector.jpg

- - - Am I mad? Have I lost all perspective? - - -

Hi Bruce,
yes you are and yes you have, but why do you suppose that those are bad things?
About the front brake m/c, the brake feels too hard because the stock m/c's piston is too big for it's caliper.
Adding a leftside disk & caliper turns the feel to just about perfect, as would fitting an m/c that has a smaller piston.
Both these fixes have been researched to death on this site.

Back