It's rebuilt but the gear slips out of neutral!

Jimlovelady

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I've put th engine back together after replacing the pistons but the gear won't stay in neutral. As soon as I find neutral, I'll move the wheel forward and it slips either into first or into second. In the rebuild I didn't mess with the crank case so I'm not sure what I could have done. I thought I put everything back where it was. I didn't even open up the right side during te rebuild.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
Jim Lovelady

He Guys,

I have the exact same issue as stated above. When the little dot is facing the shifter and the gears should be in neutral, it clicks back into gear as soon as I turn the gears by hand. Furthermore I am able to go thru gears by hand but sometimes it get stuck halfway in the proces of shifting. It helps to turn the gear while I shift thru gear but also then it can occur. Is this normal? Can anybody help me/us?

I've checked all gears, made sure they ran smooth before attaching the cases back together and the gears where able to run neutral before installing and adjusting the shifter.

Would be great to get some help from the experts! ;)

Kind regards,

Niels

Hey, Niels. There's numerous threads in here covering that. Try the forum searchbox above, and use these terms: "starwheel", and "neutral detent". Post up if you're still having trouble...

Back