Electricnightmare

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I b

I have Isolated the ignition circuit and unplugged the charging system .I Used a test light to try and feel like I did something right as voltmeter reading were less than a volt. This is debatebly inconclusive though because my volt meter did not react to key switch changes and my test light did. This however fluctuates with no apparent changes to the system a kinda wait five minutes try again and it doesnt work thing. I also wasn't sure what voltage should be running though my system. As of now I have everything wired as it should be ( But i guess somehow i do not) but it is not sucking power into my system when the keyswitch is turned . This is extremely frustrating as its very little wiring and I possess elementary knowledge of Circuits. If I hot wire pass the key switch so power is feeding directly into the brown wires on my coils, I should have spark correct? I do not have my wiring like this now for fear of damaging things. I have the grey and orange from points fed into two two-to-one bullet spliters that runs to my coils and my condensor which, runs back into my coils, after power is fed from the brown wire from my key switch into the brown wires on my coils.Pheww.

I guess what Im asking is what should my voltage be with the key switch off and then on, between my positive and my first 20amp and then before my coils after the keyswitch after the three way connector.

Also If I were to hotwire past my key switch to the brown wires on my spark coils power should be constantly flowing into my system, correct?

What should the Dc voltage read between battery and my 20amp fuse in this scenario? Would voltage only pass when spark fires, or is it constantly flowing into the system until the condensor "charges"?

The only ground in the Ignition system is spark and condensor correct?

Am I missing a component? I pulled the wiring myself and I think I would have noticed an ignition box.

If voltage is low what should i do to fix it
And Is there anything that you noticed from my photos?
IMG_0132.jpgso i run power from battery to 20amp inline
IMG_0133.jpg through the thick starter solinoid terminal
IMG_0135.jpgit feeds from the fuse through the headlight

IMG_0137.jpgto my main switch red wire, the brown wire then is split
IMG_0138.jpgfeeding power to the brown wires on my coils
IMG_0140.jpgthe orange leads are connected to my points
IMG_0141.jpg and spilt with 2-1 bullet connections to what i believe is my condensorIMG_0139.jpg

Ive been pulling my hair out because Ive followed my wiring diagram and believe its correct, so i dont understand why im not gettting spark. Ive tried with charging system connected and disconnect. Thank you for you help I hope my questions are coherant enough to help me quickly and easily. These are the missing pieces of the puzzle to as to why im confused by the circuit

additionally if anyone would be down to have a brief phone conversation with me 10 min it would be greatly appriciated I feel like I am very close but am missing a tiny piece due to lack of knowledge ALSO I belive I have a 79 650 F model and a solid state reg/rec from a later model.I just watched this video Yamaha tech training video and the section on CDI's has confused me do I even need to run power to coils If im going kick only?

OK first is it a points bike and do you have 12 volts to the wire going to the brown wire on the coils and if so do you have 12 volts or a spark at the points. Your pictures show wires all over so its a little hard to see what you got. If you ran wire from positive of battery to both brown wires on coils you should have spark. That's like hot wiring bike by passing key and harness. Do you have a kill switch in line too?You can always contact me at DADDYGCYCLES@YAHOO.COM and I can give you a number to call me.
Rich

Ok, with the key on, check battery voltage. Use this as a reference. As you move along the wires it should read very close to battery voltage. All the way to the coils. If at any point you find low voltage, the problem will be between where you found the low voltage and the battery. Often the key switch is dirty and needs cleaning. The engine stop switch can be dirty and need cleaning too.
Battery power flows to the coils on the brown wire. The points ground the circuit. When the points are closed power flows through the coils to the points and to ground. This charges the coil. When the points open the condensers absorb some of the power that flowed through the points to prevent the points from arcing when they open. When the points open the power flow through the coils stops. Thus causes the coil to discharge at a very high voltage to make the plugs spark.
Leo

Back