1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

I've embarked on another anti-shackwhacky project - wanna see?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Downeaster, Dec 15, 2019.

1. MrBultaco

MrBultaco it ran before being parked Top Contributor

Colorado
    this the funniest thing I have heard so far this year....:laughing:

MaxPete, gggGary and Jim like this.
  2. Downeaster

Downeaster Everything in XS Top Contributor

Let's all do the Tim the Toolman grunt together..."UUUGGGHHH UGH Ugh ugh ugh..."

3. Downeaster

[​IMG]

Same technique, different armature. "Leaves" aren't right but otherwise does a pretty fair imitation of an apple tree. Drops of red paint for the apples.

[​IMG]

Previously built trees planted as a hedge/view block between where the house will be and the "Spare Inventory" pile behind the shop. Waiting on some plastic shingle castings to roof the garage.

Car is a '63/'64 Ford wagon I found in a $5.00 stack of Matchbox toys at Walmart. I'll give the rest to the great-grandsons, the Ford was the only thing appropriate to the era. Added a little rust along the fender lips and the rocker panels. I mean, it IS a 60's Ford! :p

Seeing as I'm gonna have a house, figured I needed a vehicle for Mom and the Kids.

4. Downeaster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the critter's homes finished. Waiting on the kit for the farmhouse so I can figure out the footprint and location and work on the scenery some more.

5. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

You getting up at 4:30 to do chores now?
    Cool work!

MaxPete, azman857 and Jim like this.
  6. Downeaster

They don't eat much, gggGary...:p

Seriously tho, I'm usually up by 5:00. Too many years of working that schedule to try to change it now.

MaxPete, azman857, 59Tebo and 2 others like this.
  7. Downeaster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting there. The barn light is a white LED running on 3 volts. I have one in the house too but it's way too bright and the walls glow. I'll have to put a resistor in the line and drop the voltage a little. Ordered a yard light that'll go over by the grain bins. They're all on switches and run off a 3v wall wart.

MaxPete, roadrash61, Mailman and 4 others like this.
  8. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Could try a little yellow paint on the led. That should knock off some of the glow and give a period correct hue to the light?

MaxPete and gggGary like this.
  9. Downeaster

In an effort to tone it down, I slipped a piece of plastic drinking straw over it and wrapped the straw in yellow masking tape. Still too much.

MaxPete, Jim and gggGary like this.
  10. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

upload_2020-1-18_16-11-47.png
    Is that for fuel for the tractors or fuel oil for the house furnace?
    I can remember fuel oil being delivered for our furnace. Then we got natural gas, we was in tall cotton then.

11. Downeaster

Intended for the house but I haven't decided exactly where to put it yet. Most locations put it right next to a window which doesn't look right to me. If I put it out back, nobody will see it.

MaxPete and gggGary like this.
  12. Downeaster

[​IMG]

Initial attempt at a night shot with the house LED dimmed by a 10K resistor.

Need to find the manual exposure setting on my camera. Gotten too used to "point and shoot" photography.

13. GLJ

I think I would extend the gravel and put it back here. Protected from some of the wind, hopefully doesn't jell when sub-zero weather hits. Make sure you sink the feed line below the frost line.
    upload_2020-1-18_17-16-6.png
    You need another board to make the "back 40". The place where all the old vehicles and farm equipment went.

MaxPete, gggGary, lakeview and 3 others like this.
  14. GLJ

Do you have plans for poles for electric and phone, wires too? TV antenna?
    What would be way cool is to add on the bottom side a septic system, well and other underground stuff. This could keep you busy all winter.

15. Downeaster

All good ideas, GLJ. I don't think another section is likely, but more detail on what's there is definitely in the works.

16. Downeaster

[​IMG]

Damn kids, I've told them and TOLD them not to ride the clutch!

JAX71224, MaxPete, gggGary and 4 others like this.
  17. kshansen

kshansen XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

I wasn't me must have been when Jimmy was using it!

gggGary, Mailman and Jim like this.
  18. Downeaster

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Patience is NOT one of my virtues.

Occasionally, when I happen to be in the right mood, I can get away with working on some pretty tiny stuff. For instance:

[​IMG]

I decided my 1/64th scale house needed a mailbox and a lawn mower.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Body is brass sheet, about 3/8" square with the sides folded down. Axles out of .063 brass wire soldered to the ends. Wheels are the heads off some #4-40 screws with a hole drilled through the center of the head and the shanks cut off (amazing how accurately you can drill with a mill!) Engine is a bit of plastic that happened to look right.

[​IMG]

The mailbox consists of brass scraps and a bit of wooden skewer for the post, flag is a plastic-headed pin heated, squashed flat, cut to fit and painted red.

MaxPete, 59Tebo, gggGary and 2 others like this.
  19. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

Ooooooooo! I got one for ya, De. How about a scaled down Xs in the corner of the barn? Leave off as many parts as you like (for realism).... :laugh:

MaxPete, gggGary, GLJ and 2 others like this.
  20. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Needs a scale Township building inspector, with a LARGE violations file. :unsure: :cautious: :D

MaxPete, 59Tebo, roadrash61 and 2 others like this.