Jacking up back end.

Tim L

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi,

I am building an XS2 flat tracker project and want to jack up the back end about 40mm.
Has anyone jacked up the back end of an XS2 or early XS650? Did it improve the handling and the look of the bike?
Is it better to get extended shocks or make extension brackets to mount the shock.

Tim.

I put 360 mm eye to eye shocks on my '79 but the chain would rub slightly on the top of the swingarm when they were at full extension. Don't know whether XS2 may have more clearance to avoid this? Playing with sprocket combinations helps a little. 350 mm would probably have been ideal.

But I thought it improved the look and the handling (felt better anyway)

I canted the top shock mount on my roadracer to raise the rear to put more weight on the front for improved cornering without losing ground clearance. When I did this, I had to mount a chain tensioner and a rub pad on the top of the swingarm. Larger front/rear sprockets can be used to raise the chain off the swingarm a bit, especially for a dirt tracker.

Attachments

• XS700RR.jpg
    XS700RR.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 207
  • DSC01273.jpg
    DSC01273.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 216
Did the chain rub the swing arm all the time, or just when there was no weight on the back end.
If it doesn't rub when you are sat on it then it is not to much of a problem and I will try some 360mm shocks.
Tim.

Tim, on mine they only rubbed when there was no load on the back, e.g. over crests in the road and such. Like dwyatt I superglued a rubber pad made from an old chain guide on top of the swingarm, but it started to wear pretty quick and I had some chain clearance issues due to the diameter of the shocks (Hagon Nitros) so I swapped them for shorter ones off a Harley. I will put the Nitros back on at some stage and play with sprocket sizes on the rear (no room for larger than 18 tooth on the front without serious mods). Chain tension also has to be spot on to avoid excessive rubbing on a slack throttle.

Back