JGore99's First Build/ Intro

JGore99

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Well this is going to be my introduction as well as my build thread. Hey, I'm Jonathan. I've been lurking around here for quite a while now. I bought a 1981 Special II a couple months ago and rode it around for a few weeks. Then I started tearing it down to build it. Some of you guys might have seen me post up about the hardtail I got from David Bird. It's a looped tail with 2" stretch and 2" drop. The plan is 21" front, 16" rear, forks lowered 2-3", clean up the motor, cole foster tank, hopefully some keystone bars, and a 7 Metal West rear fender. Atleast those are the main plans as of now. I got the hardtail welded on last night so I figured it was about time to start a build thread. Also, my dad is on here (jbgore i think). He wants to do a build-off type thing but right now I'm way ahead! haha So how about some pictures...

IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3307.jpg

Getting the hubs ready for powder coat next week:

IMG_3309.jpg

New 21" rim and SS spokes:

IMG_3310.jpg

Tank:

IMG_3311.jpg

P.S. please excuse the mess. As soon as the guy picks up my 1950 Cadillac I sold him I am cleaning out the entire garage.

Thanks guys. It's a 2.5 gallon tank. Hopefully I can find time after work tomorrow to get my wheels and hubs to the powder coaters. I need to order my tires here soon. I'm thinking about a Avon Speedmaster up front and a Firestone Deluxe Champion in the rear. I'm not sure what I am going to use for an electric box but I was thinking about an old copper fire extinguisher if I can find one for a reasonable price. Any other ideas?

I was going to do that and run no battery, but then I priced evrything out and that is not in my budget at this time. Maybe I can do that in the future after the build is done.

Well, I haven't got much else done. I took the rims and hubs to powder coat today and they should be done by the end of the week. I cleaned up the welds on the bottom gussets of the hardtail and primed the frame to keep it from rusting in the garage. Also, I got a headlight to use. It's an old Unity spotlight and I'm going to make it work. It reminds me of old Guide headlights off hot rods. My photobucket account isn't working right now but I will try to get some pictures of the headlight up tonight. :thumbsup:

I got a the same Cole Foster tank in transit, long way form USA to Oz!
The headlight is cool and the top ridge will match the tank nicely!

I'll be keeping an eye on your build for inspiration, keep it up.
Cheers.

Thanks man! I tink the headlight will be really slick with that tank and I'm going to run a ribbed rear fender to tie it all in. Also, I'm going to sand the headlight down to get it to a brass finish. Sorry I haven't updated in a while. I have been rather busy with 2 new trucks, work, and school. I have the wheels all laced up. I just need wheel bearings and seals which I am going to order when I get my next paycheck. I will try yo get some pics of the wheels posted in the next few days. They look really sharp.

Yeah I was going to sand the ring and the top ridge but paint the housing to match my paint. I think it would be overkill to have it all brass.

I'm still not sold on the David Bird frame... I love the looped rear, but I'm not sure about the plates. Looking forward to see how this looks when it's all cleaned up.

do you know what kind of tank that is or what it came off of i have the exact same one i love it whoops read the thread above cancel that

Here are some photos of a bike with "I Think" your head light in full brass.

Thought you may be interested.

Attachments

• Jason4.JPG
    Jason4.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 215
  • Jason1.JPG
    Jason1.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 243
Well my family just got back from the beach so I just now and getting access to a camera again. Once I get paid Friday I will be ordering wheel bearings and seals so I can move on to a rolling chassis. Aussie, Thanks for the pics. Yeah that really made me NOT want to go all brass! I will try to get some pics up soon of my powdercoated wheels and the tank set on the bike here tonight or tomorrow.
Oak, I thought the same thing about the Bird frames with the plates. If you think about it though, all the other hardtails you have to cut into the main loop of the frame so you would have to brace it so your motor mounts don't twist. It seems to me that since you don't cut into that with the Bird frame it would be stronger. The other tails work fine obviously, but I really wanted that looped tail look on this bike.
Greg, I thought it might be too long as well but when I got the tank I set it up on the frame it actually fit really well. Mine is the sportster model and I'm going to have to fab up some new mounts for it but it shouldnt be that hard.

Back