Jonny Reb's '81 Build

jonny Reb

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey folks,
I've been around for a bit now, slowly working on my '81 Special II, and I've gotten to the point now where she's starting to look pretty good, I think. Lotsa stuff going on over the past year and a half since she came out of a garage in San Luis Obispo, Ca. I'm the 3rd owner, and I got her pretty much totally stock with the exception of a couple odds and ends. The PO did a clutch rebuild (he's a buddy of mine with lots of experience and some fancy engineering degree so I trust the work was done well) but other than that the motor was untouched.

When I first bought her, she ran rough, but a bit of sea foam and some electronic cleaner and tightening of connections got her moving pretty well. I rode her around town and back and forth to work for about a year before the head gasket blew. So for Christmas, I got to get all the way down in her... top end job sorta thing (with the generous help of the PO). She's back together now and running well, and I've done some cosmetic work that I hope you can appreciate. Always looking for more suggestions too, so don't be shy.

I'm going to start posting pics and short descriptions of what I've done here in the next couple of days. I'm not a total noob, but I'm not an old hand at this either, so advice, constructive criticism, etc. is totally welcome. Finally, I'm grateful for this site- a huge help in all I've done. Speaking of which, here's everything I can think of mechanics-wise that I've done:

-Front Brake Caliper rebuild
-New fork seals
-New battery
-New spark plugs/boots
-Honda Rebel rear suspension (I'm 5'6")
-Head and bottom gaskets
-new rings
-cylinder hone
-new Cam Chain guide
-Cleaned/tuned carbs
-valve / cam chain tensioner adjustment after overhaul

I'll start posting pics here pretty quick. Thanks for checking out my bike. You all know how much I love her. :bike:

Here's how she looked the day I brought her home:
[/URL][/IMG]

And here she is now:
[/URL][/IMG]

Still lots of cosmetic stuff I'd like to do, but I'm stoked on the way she's slimmed down so far. I've done all the design stuff, so I'll post some close ups of those as I move through the actual motor work I've done.

Attachments

• xs650orig_zps1dc45532.jpg
    xs650orig_zps1dc45532.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 2
  • xs650jan14_zpsed3be0ad.jpg
    xs650jan14_zpsed3be0ad.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 2
also, I don't want to give the impression that this is just a glorified album... I've got a few things I'll be doing in the next few weeks... seems like I might need to rebuild my master cylinder... it's working but a bit less smooth than before. I'm also considering Pod filters (the right ones, that don't block the jets) and I'd like to do some upswept pipes that are a bit louder. I've hacked away at a couple other bikes over the past few years with no planning or research though (hey, I only seized one motor!:doh::yikes:), so this one I'd like to do right... meaning with plenty of advice from those who know. So, anyway, I'd like to show you what I've done, but it's still a work in progress. Ok. Enough qualifications:wink2:. Let's move on.

ok, so having gotten where I am, I'd like to at least consider re-working my intake and exhaust situations. Part of this is cosmetic- as old-school as they are, I'm not really a fan of the original side covers. I like a slim bike, and they sort of give it, well, Goldwing Hips!

So. I have a question or two here as I get started planning: will I get more power by going with Pod filters? Obviously most people re-jet with pods, so I'm assuming more air plus more gas equals more power. Is it worth it, in your opinions? I'm attaching a pic of my seat/covers as they are now... I'd like to do side covers that match the seat, but to do that, the air box has got to go.
[/URL][/IMG]

Attachments

• 3fbaf072-36c3-4a53-9077-551cf7ac1b29_zps64889848.jpg
    3fbaf072-36c3-4a53-9077-551cf7ac1b29_zps64889848.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 1
got my bike back from my buddy's shop... he did a bunch of work on the frame. Cut off the rear loop and re-attached it minus about 6 inches of frame, custom sissy and license plate mount, 34 Ford taillight, bobbed fender and some shaving of the frame from unnecessary stuffs. Next will be a new king/queen seat and some upswept pipes.

Here's my bike with the new fab work on the tail section. Way more compact and much cleaner looking than the stock sissy bar/rack combo. I also hit the headlight with some yellow Glass paint.

[ATTACH=full]300014[/ATTACH]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Attachments

• 1779626_674488872389_305187247_n_zps3a05d16c.jpg
    1779626_674488872389_305187247_n_zps3a05d16c.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 1016556_676316454899_208332985_n_zpsf9ae71f1.jpg
    1016556_676316454899_208332985_n_zpsf9ae71f1.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 1
As much as I dig my leather belt-seat, it was time for something new…
My buddy gave me a bunch of Honda parts a while ago when he cafe'd his stocker, so I've had this really nice seat taking up room in the garage. I cut the pan narrow, hammered on it a bit to reshape, cut the foam way down, and stretched the hide back over it. It's not bad, considering it was free- much softer than my old one with nothing compromised in terms of seat hight… plus it looks a bit cleaner and my lady can ride with me again ("I'm not sitting on a damn Indian blanket on your fender anymore" she said a couple months ago…)
[/URL][/IMG]

In an older post I was talking about pods… I think I'll stick with the stock air box for now… my bike runs great, and I don't think there's any reason to mess with success.

Question: anybody know of any foot pegs that mount into the stock peg mounts? I hate these rubber ones, and their pretty hardened and slick. I'd like to go with some metal ones, but I also want to maintain the spring-loaded or at least the pop-up-on-the-hard-corners aspect. Any suggestions that aren't going to cost me a fortune?

Attachments

• 1656412_677357179279_698767713_n_zpse7373920.jpg
    1656412_677357179279_698767713_n_zpse7373920.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 2
Back