Just a small hole...

dmschuler

XS650 Member
Reaction score
operation dis-assembly under way!

I picked up a used cylinder & pistons from ebay. Should I send it out to the machine shop with the head? New rings are probably in order too?

Recommendations for a good shop in the Buffalo, NY area would be greatly appreciated.

Next up, I need to order a new cam chain & guides, and a gasket set. A few tools are in order too... (wrist pin removal tool, others?)

Also, I'd like to paint the engine. I've seen a few posts debating whether or not this is a good idea. is there a general consensus on this?

Thanks!
Doug

Attachments

• hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 64
i wouldn't waste money on the wrist pin puller - they slide right out, you can tap it with a screw driver handle or chunk of wood if you need to.

paint the engine, don't paint the engine.... meh who knows. there are plenty of engines out there that are painted, some recommend running an oil cooler if you paint the head though - most don't think it's a good idea to powder coat the head though as its too thick to offer any sort of heat exchange.

although black paint is more prevelent in liquid cooled engines it is believed (by some) that even though a black painted engine absorbs heat easily it also gives it off more readily than a bare metal finish... the debate goes on

Back