Just bought a lathe!

arcticXS

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Gotta share this with you all :)

I just bought a used lathe for the garage. I really enjoy machining, so it was a suitable 50 year birthday present for myself, and also a strong motivation for getting the wiring done in my garage. Winters are long, dark and cold here at 70 degrees north, so it will be good to finally have a warm and well lit shop to play in!

It is a Czech made TOZ SN40B, 1000 mm between centres, can swing 700 mm in the gap, 200 mm above the cross slide, and has a 50 mm spindle bore. So it is definitely up to almost any motorcycle related job. It is around 30 years old, but is a proper, heavy, professional machine. Much more stable than most Chinese lathes with same length, the damn thing weighs over 1.5 tons. And it has a 5 kW (6.8 hp) motor.

Now I'm Just looking forward to getting the wiring done, and the lathe set up properly soon!

That's a lot of machine. Make sure you get it set up level. Makes much more of a difference than most would think. I have a friend that sets up mostly CNC machines for a living. He's seen some uneven floor setups twist up the beds of much smaller machines than yours so you can't hold a tolerance for shit.

Back