just bought an xs650 importd from the USA

John650, yes, I used the nylon screws at first. I picked up an 82 parts bike to have an engine while I did some engine work. While swapping engines around I used the 82 stator with the ungrounded brush. So I could do away with the nylon screws.
Leo

Peanut, I'm going to ask the post office how they calculate their rates, and try to get to the bottom of this, because its important.
I am only speculating (and you have the experience) but I imagine that if the US Dealer sends parcels by Fedex, then they would deal with the import tax and the post office wouldn't be in the loop at all ? After all Fedex deliver Fedex parcels don't they?

Thanks Leo,

sorry there are at least two different threads running here, (my fault).

I just found a reg/rec on ebay from 'TC Bros LLC' for a 70-79 which just plugs straight in, with no need to unground the brush holder. As I am not planning to upgrade the stator and rotor, this sounds ideal.

Perhaps I'll use this purchase as a 'pipe-cleaner' to test the other half of this thread;as outlined by 'peanut' .........i.e delivery from the USA, import tax and our homeland parasites otherwise known as the post office.

Peanut, I'm going to ask the post office how they calculate their rates, and try to get to the bottom of this, because its important.
I am only speculating (and you have the experience) but I imagine that if the US Dealer sends parcels by Fedex, then they would deal with the import tax and the post office wouldn't be in the loop at all ? After all Fedex deliver Fedex parcels don't they?

sorry John I never saw this post. Better late than never i suppose.

years back i used to sell AV equipment to the US and buy electronic stuff from the US . Because it was a business I set up a Fedex business account so that they collected and posted my stuff to the US and delivered my parts I bought from the US.

Fedex sent me a monthly invoice so I still had to pay import tax etc on my imported goods but Fedex invoiced me. There is no way to avoid import tax that I know of unless the item is a gift or a used item or a repaired/ faulty item .

Perhaps this might be some help to others looking to import stuff from the US into the UK.

How did you get on with your stuff from MikesXS ?

I think UK customs make it up as they go, sometimes you get charged, others you don't, and never an amount you can work out how they came up with the figure.

Peanut, in the end I bought similar products from the UK, so still no experience buying from Mikesxs.
My bike is running now, but these projects are never really complete are they ?
As soon as the soldered repair falls off the left side muffler, I will be looking to Mikesxs for a replacement system.

Hi ,my US import is still a non runner,no spark at the plugs or the points,can I ask you what you might suspect it could be ?
If I were to replace the coils ,reg or rectifer what would I replace them with? ie a different make or brand ?
Also when the time comes to get it registered do I actually have to take the bike to the DVLA office or just the forms ?
Hope you dont mind me asking but you seem to have done these things .
Thanks
,one day I will get it going

Start tracing where you have power, might be the capacitors, more likely a bad connection on the bullet connectors.

Hi ,my US import is still a non runner,no spark at the plugs or the points,can I ask you what you might suspect it could be ?
If I were to replace the coils ,reg or rectifer what would I replace them with? ie a different make or brand ?
Also when the time comes to get it registered do I actually have to take the bike to the DVLA office or just the forms ?
Hope you dont mind me asking but you seem to have done these things .
Thanks
,one day I will get it going

Before you start replacing stuff: Make sure the battery is reading about 12v, then take the points cover off, switch on the ignition and look to see which one of the points is closed. Flick those points open with a small screwdriver and check for spark. If no spark then there must be a bad connection from the battery through the ignition switch to the coils. So that would be a good place to start looking.
On my 75' model, there is a red/white wire from the ignition switch that splits to a brown wire to each of the coils, and they should both read 12v when the ignition is on. If you don't get 12v there, but any of the lights/indicators/horn are working then check the red/white wire back to the ignition switch. If nothing is working then go back to the main fuse on the right side of the battery box.

I got a form to fill in from the importer for first registration, plus an import duty paid sheet, plus a receipt of purchase. I took those plus MOT and insurace certificate to the local DVLA office. They took £95 off me for registration and 12 months tax, and said they would process the application. A few days later I got a phone call saying they needed to inspect the bike. I had to trailer it to the local DVLA inspection depot, where in two minutes they checked the engine and frame numbers. A week later I received my documents back plus the tax disc. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice .I am going to give it a going over this weekend now the weather is a little warmer,I will start with checking the connections ,earth wires fuses etc and see what happens.
I have the chance to buy a Uk xs2 that has been stood for 12 yrs ,I was thinking of using it for a spares bike for the US one but now I am thinking of maybe doing it the other way round as the UK one has a log book and reg plate so It would be so much easier to get it on the road again ,my nearest dvla place is 40 mls away ,Both bikes are in a similar condition it depend on which one i can get going .
Thanks

Hi again, I put a new battery on today and lo and behold I got
a spark from both plugs and working lights,I still have a long way to go to get it on the road but at least I know the bike will probably run
Thanks

Oh, glad to here it.
Batteries are at the heart of so many bike problems.
Good luck with the restoration, whichever you choose.

Back