Just getting started.

Oh well, to late now. LOL. Live and learn.

Got some more work done on it today. Cleaned the frame, primed and painted it. Flat black. Here are a few pic's of our progress.

Primer.

photo-44.jpg

photo-45.jpg

Paint.

photo-46.jpg

Then we did some spot cleaning.

photo-48.jpg

That that's how she finished up tonight.

Well party at my buddies last night. Pushed the bike outside to make more room to carry on in the shed and couldn't pass up the idea and snap some photos outside. Sorry for the poor quality but you get what you get at midnight with an iPhone. Oh, also picked up my rear shock yesterday. It's off a CBR600 F4. Looks as if it's going to work perfectly.

Enjoy

photo-52.jpg

photo-55.jpg

Oh, and here is an image of the shock we are going to be using.

photo-56.jpg

It has adjustments for height, compression, and rebound. $50 on Craigslist.

Last edited:
Got some more work done tonight. Painted up some misc. engine covers and started fabbing a rear shock mount. Bike is starting to look really sick. My buddy is starting to like mine better than his KX. He is already talking about building his own suspended bike. Well on to the pics.

Paint work.

photo-57.jpg

photo-59.jpg

Fab work.

photo-58.jpg

photo-60.jpg

photo-61.jpg

photo-65.jpg

Where I ended up.

photo-62.jpg

Last edited:
I guess my next steps are going to include finish up the swing arm (cut the stock shock tabs off, extend the caliper bar, finish up the welds, and fab the fender mount) and finish cutting up the fender. Seat and seat mount. Pick, buy and install a fuel tank. Headlight and tail light. Then all the wiring. Shouldn't be too hard. I plan on having it done by mid March so I can enter her into the Spring Motorcycle Supershow. http://www.supershowevents.com/spring/

Last edited:
I just looked through your whole project here and I REALLY like what you are doing with the style/stretch. It's going to look very cool. Nice work!

Now, not to be to harsh, but are we using a cell phone to take the photos? Either I need a new monitor or you need a little better camera. The bike is going to be too nice not to share some better pics. I'd shoot them for you if I could!

:thumbsup:

-R

All pics have been shot with my iPhone 4. Sorry for the poor quality, but thanks for the compliments. I like it even more every time I get a chance to work on it.

Idea is going good but there will be lots of stress at the shock attach areas holding that load. Might need to do some extra work on the swingarm attach area and the frame. add some gissets to spread out the load, under brace the swingarm?

Got the upper shock mount/front seat mounting point all done this afternoon. I was worried the spring rate of the shock I picked up was going to be to stiff, I was wrong, it's perfect. I am going to need to adjust the preload, and mostlikly the compression and rebound once she is all complete.

On to the pic's.

photo-71.jpg

photo-69.jpg

photo-70.jpg

photo-72.jpg

:thumbsup:

Now just need to clean it up and paint it. The swing arm that is. Seat and tank are next and to swap out one of the 2 bars. I was sent either 2 lefts or rights when I ordered the clip-ons. I have a new pair waiting to go on.

So my bud was cruising Craigslist and came across a great deal on 2 HD Sportster tanks. We only needed 1 but he wouldn't split them up. So we now have 2 tanks. They are from 2 different years as one of the 2 has a narrower tunnel and won't fit correctly. But the newer of the 2 with the automotive style click lock vented cap works perfectly. Not bad for $200 cash money if you ask me.

photo-74.jpg

photo-73.jpg

Finished up the swing arm. Going to mount the fender in the curved section so there won't be any visible hardware our struts. Turned out so clean. I'm very happy with it.

photo-77.jpg

Well not much work on the bike for a week or two. Tucked th XS into the corner last night and pulled the Copper KZ550 to get it ready for the Toronto Motorcycle Show next weekend.

I'm also in need of a seat and headlight. Hopefully I'll be able to pick one of each while there.

Yeah, I heard that! I'm just about 50 ft. or so from mine wishing I was wrenching, but it's like 20* out there.

Anyway, have a Happy New Year, and enjoy the show!

BTW, the pics are looking better! lol

-R

Hey Apox, I grew up in Oakville so we aren't that far off. Going to the bike show this weekend at The International Centre? I'll be there with my buddy's KZ550 so if you see anyone standing around be sure to say hi. His bike will be the one With the copper tank, fender, and headlight bucket all raked out in the front. It's all shiney like a new penny. Post #2 of this thread.

Last edited:
Back