Just getting started.

I saw it today man, no one standing around it though, it looked great. Looking forward to seeing your xs650 build, you seem like you know what your doing lol. I'm fairly new to building, ive got a raked 8 degree 4" stretch hardtail at the moment, going with 18 rear 19 front, low bars. I want a nice long fairly gradual slope from bars to back tire. Where im lacking though is space to build and I can't do any welding (dont have one/dont know how). So I know its going to take me a long time, but its fun none the less. keep me up to date on your build.

goodluck,
Rob

Thanks Rob. Sounds like you have quite the build on your hands not having the welding skills. As to your comment "you know what you're doing". This is my first build and my buddy's second. But we're plugging along and getting it together.

As for the bike show, sorry I missed you. Not sure if you were around for the awards on Sunday, but my friends copper bike took 4th in the bobber class. He was up against some real tough competition. He was quite concerned when he was put in that class as the rest of the bikes he was up against were very well built. In the 2011 Spring show he was in the Asian Extreme class and placed 3rd.

Did you happen to check out the Flying Squirrel booth? They had some really slick batteries that were about half the size of a regular lead acid battery and completely sealed so you mount them any which way you wanted. I'll pick one up closer to the completion of my build and I think I'll mount it below the swing arm. I'll post the pic I snapped of it once I get it up on photobucket.

Here are some pics of Jeff's bike at the show.

photo-84.jpg

photo-83.jpg

photo-80.jpg

And the battery I was talking about. As you can see by the business card in front of it, it is quite small. This image is of one that is 102cca but you can get up to 250cca in the same size case.

photo-79.jpg

I saw the battery actually at that booth. Didn't stop though, my bike gonna be kick only, no flashers, I've already had if running on a small sealed alarm system battery, worked great.
I can't weld personally but I know a master welder from dafasco and his son is quite good too, so once I figure out all my parts and where it's going I'll take it over to his place. I've priced out the parts I want at various US sites "monster craftsman" "tcbros" "metalworks" etc I'm llooking at about $2000. Which isn't bad for a bobber you always dreamed of. Most harley bobbers are 10-15k

Well it's been a while since I really had a chance to work on the bike. Last night was a good night. Got the back wheel on and strung the chain. It's somewhere around 110 links. Also started on the seat mount. I'm not 100% happy with the seat where it's at, but it's a start.

What do you guys think?

photo-89.jpg

photo-92.jpg

photo-91.jpg

But all in all I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along.

Yeah, it's going just above the upper shock mount.im also picking up my battery this weekend. The one pictured earlier in this thread. I'll hopefully have some wiring completed this coming week.

NOT my style but ADMIRE ALL THE WORK !!! Love the build, didnt look like it would be too friendly to your bad back though.

BTW, what is the price of those batteries ?

Thanks Repairman. She's come a long way, but we still have a ways to go.

I was worried about the ride quality as well due to the fact I have 2 crushed vertabre in my lower back. But without having riden it yet, she seems alright. Going to have to set the preload, compression and rebound on the shock for sure.

The battery was about $150 Canadian. But for the size it couldn't be beat. Still need to figure where it's going. Probably under the swingarm with the rest of the electronics.

Last edited:
Well I'm going to the bike today but the wife has forbidden me to touch it. It's my buddies wife's birthday so we're on kid duty. The weather is nice, might just have to push it out of the shed for a mini photo shoot. Don't tell her, OK? LOL

Well the wife confirmed it. I get Bike Night tomorrow and again this Saturday. I must be doing something right at home. I'm going to start running wire and building a battery box. What is everyone's opinion on mounting the battery and electrical under the swing arm?

Back