Just getting started.

Ok got over to the bike today and we got a couple things done. Welded the seat pan on and if I do say so myself, it looks damn good.

Also tried to get more of the wiring completed with out much luck. I have to use 2 of the wiring diagrams on this forum. I have the "simplified chopper" diagram and another showing an electric start circuit. I think I'm just going to combine them into one by drawing it out myself. I get a little lost flipping back and forth.

Here are a couple pics of the seat pan welded to the down tube/shock mount.

photo-135.jpg

photo-136.jpg

So I got out to tinker a little more last night. Got a little more of the wiring last night. One thing had me stumped. To starter solinoid wiring. One large hot from the battery, the other large to the starter. Now the red and blue. Red wire is switched hot, and the blue is to the starter button to ground. If the sm red wire is to fused hot, why am I getting 12V on the blue? I think the solinoid is F'd up.

Any how, here are some photos of where I'm at.

photo-140.jpg

photo-139.jpg

photo-138.jpg

photo-137.jpg

What do you think?

Actually the starter switch wires are red/white and blue/white.
Power comes in on the red/white wire, the starter switch has a winding inside that connects to the blue/white wire, so yes you will have 12 volts on the blue/white wire.
The start button grounds the blue/white wire to energize the winding to pull the contacts together to send power to the starter.
Leo

Yes, yes.... Blue/White & Red/White.

But wouldn't that short the circut out? I did think that what you were saying last night, but I stopped before I did something I would regret.

Do you have the Clymer book? If you look at the wiring diagrams on page 226-227 and you look at the starter solenoid you will see power comes into the relay from the safety relay on the red/white wire. You will see the red/white wire hooks to one end of a winding inside the relay, the other end of the winding hooks to the blue/white wire. The blue/white wire runs to the start button. The start button grounds to complete the circuit.
When checking voltages on this circuit you will have battery voltage on the red/white wire before the starter relay, after the relay and all the way to the start button.
If the winding inside the relay was shorted to ground you wouldn't get a voltage reading on the blue/white wire.
Leo

No I don't have the Clymer book. I have the Haynes Manual. I will redo all my connections on my next bike night. I was out at the Toronto Bike & Tattoo show yesterday and I finally picked up a petcock for my tank.

One step at a time.

My buddy Jeff moved the rear tank mount on my Sporty tank tonight. Moved it from the rear of the tank to under it. It now meets the frame a lot better.

photo-141.jpg

Also decided to reuse the stock headlight housing. Tons of space for the flasher and such. Also used it to mount the forward facing turn signals.

photo-143.jpg

I also connected the start circuit last night. My Shorai battery turns the starter over like a champ. Now to finish the lighting and complete the charging circuit. Getting closer and closer to my goal. Woohoo!!!

nice looking build man..not huge on sportster tanks but 2 each their own :) im going with a tank off a batavus or something square-ish board tracker style not set on 1 yet..im doing mono shock also but going bout it lil diff...putting the complete swingarm n suspension from a sport bike in it..slowly piecing it together

Right on man. Do you have a build thread started? I'd love to see some pics. I chose the sporty tank as it kind of just fell into my lap and the price was right. It also goes along with the look I am going for. Good luck with your build.

no build thread started yet...ill take couple pics n start a build thread this weekend...i dont think sporty tanks look bad jus not right for what im going 4 with my build

Sorry guys haven't been around much lately. The wife is about due with our 3rd child so the bike has been put on the back burner, for now. Hopefully have some time to wrench in the coming weeks.

Our son was born a week ago at 8lbs 3oz. Now thats out of the way..... LOL. I'm finally hoping to get some of my wrenching time back. We'll see. Had a few minutes yesterday and got the kick start mechanism put back correctly. Now to button up the wiring, finish the fab work on the rear fender, and prep the tank for paint.

CONGRATS !!!!!

GOOD LUCK getting back to it any time soon ! LOL !!!! Enjoy the little one they dont stay that way forever, enjoy them in conjunction with the bike.

So I got some time to work on her last night. Got the headlight and turn signal curcuit completed. Just need to finish mounting the rear signals and that will be complete. Also tried to button up the ignition wiring. After completing the harness I hooked it up and one of the coils got really hot, so I quickly disconnected it. I'm guessing its cooked. Oh well, another item added to the shopping list.

Last edited:
After some indepth reading I found out the coil might not be cooked at all. It was just full of juice and gets hot while not running. The coil was just waiting to discharge. Lets just hope that is what was going on.

Back