Just got this lump of rust.. Have some questions!!

Even with a key I would forget about it and have errr what was we talking about again??

To be honest im hoping this bike turns me away from motorcycle OCD that I have. All my other bikes are show room condition and always have love and attention.. I really need to get back to just riding a bloody bike for the sake of riding... That was how It use to be before I grew up and found out what Sandblasting and powdercoating was now my bikes are so nice I spend more time polishing than using them :(.....

I hang my head in shame!!

Even with a key I would forget about it and have errr what was we talking about again??

To be honest im hoping this bike turns me away from motorcycle OCD that I have. All my other bikes are show room condition and always have love and attention.. I really need to get back to just riding a bloody bike for the sake of riding... That was how It use to be before I grew up and found out what Sandblasting and powdercoating was now my bikes are so nice I spend more time polishing than using them :(.....

I hang my head in shame!!
I feel your pain. i go threw a cpouple cans of aeresol window cleaner a season.
But, U know, Its finally something that I can be proud of, no frenchfries between the seats, pineneedles on the floor, dust everywhere on a dashboard. keep it clean! the next owner will appreciate it!

Triniriderz, I may be wrong, but I think Boyer only put their name on the 0.6 ohm compact coil for the later Micro-Power system. If that's the Boyer coil you have on hand, it won't work with your Micro-Digital box.

And if you don't have some way of knowing it failed, those 15 min. can be in the wrong direction (away from home base). Same with systems that claim running at low voltage as a selling point. I'm going to put a little meter on mine somewhere. It'll be fun to watch besides.

I picked up one of these at WalMart for $20. LED readout might not fit in well with a minimalist design, but it works well.

IMG_0535.jpg

grizld1:: I think your right!! the Coil I have doesnt look like the one supplied by Boyer but a factory Yam unit..

I will post a few pics up this evening...

MacMcMacmac:: Thanks for the reply but my nearest Walmart is Newyork and thats about 3459miles away as I live in London :wink2:.. With the recession stores here are carrying hardly any stock, tea is even quite low at the moment...

Ok I took some pics of the coil that came off the bike the same one that was fitted to the Boyer unit..

IMG_6688.jpg

To me it looks like a stock Yam coil any ideas??

Also I got a reply from Boyer regarding what coil should be used with that ignition box the response was:::::

Hi

These kits are not designed to run with the original Yamaha coils because of the way they are earthed. It needs to be run with a dual output coil of about 4.5ohms resistance on the primary winding. We do sell these type of coils (part number COIL00004). They are £48.35 including VAT and postage if you in the UK. We also do a heatsink kit if you don’t already have one (although you can make your own), they are £7.99.

Regards,
Gina
Sales

Boyer Bransden Electronics Ltd

Anyway untill someone can give a option on the coil I have we will have to put that problem on the shelf..

Few more pics of the bike

3/4 stripped down just before front wheel and forks came off

IMG_6690.jpg

And started to paint strip the tank..
IMG_6701.jpg

To my surprise the inside looks very very clean with no visable rust :thumbsup:

Exhaust before rub down

IMG_6694.jpg

After rub down

IMG_6693.jpg

And painting

IMG_6698.jpg

Mid way through loosing my finger prints, cleaning 30 odd years of shit off around the front sprocket..

IMG_6692.jpg

Last edited:
That coil isn't OEM Yamaha; I don't know what it is. Looks like it's been butchered a bit. Put a tester across the primaries and take a resistance reading. I don't know what the rep. you spoke to was talking about re. installing a heat sink. Boyer's installation instructions don't specify one, and with a coil in the 4 to 5 ohm range you won't need it, though you might with a lower resistance coil. Use either 5 Kohm resistor plugs or 5 Kohm resistor caps.

I got the reply direct from Boyer UK.. I will run a Mutimeter through it only problem is I lent it to someone and they havent returned it, so will have to send the boys round with a reminder :yikes:...

Ok thought it was a OEM coil maybe not.. I dont think it has been butched, i know one of the pics looks like someone has delved in and cut out a HT lead, but I think its a light trick as I didnt notice anything when I had it in my hand :shrug:...

Mikes sells a coil Part #17-6822, It is a dual output for the electronic ignition (Yamaha) and the dual lobe points cam and it is also for the early type Boyer ignition

I dont think micksxs sends to the "not so" United Kingdom?? and from talking to the old owner of the bike the UK expert died a few years ago so getting parts that are available on your side of the pond may be a issue if they wont send abroad :banghead:...

Plus im a bit of a tight arse at the moment as I have just finished a refresh on a NC30..

Sorry mate i forgot you were in the rainy isles, I/m down under and can't help you but other members have offered to buy parts and ship to England.......I don't know myself but i heard the coil mikes sells is for a Honda so maybe the Honda dealers may be able to help

triniriderz
All parts available for the XS HERE and HERE. Both will send to the UK. Wemoto also do a few bits & are UK based.
As for being a bit of tight arse, afraid I can't help ya on that one :laugh:

Yup, a lot of parts almost double in price by the time they get here to the rainy isles.

If its small I may be able to help but you might have to wait 3 months or so. Sound like you won't be buying much, if anything, anyhow.

Last edited:
Re. coils, you don't need to concern yourself about dedicated XS650 stuff from an XS650 specialty shop--the primary resistance of the coil is all that matters for compatibility with your Micro-Digital ignition. I've used both Dyna and Accel coils with that system, and I'm sure you can find a good aftermarket coil from a British maker for a reasonable price.

I finally found 30mins today to clean and rebuild the Forks

Before (right) and midway through cleaning (left) before new seals where fitted..

IMG_6708.jpg

How the bike stands at the moment, just waiting for a few supplies to come before I can start looking at building the loom...

IMG_6706.jpg

I also cleaned a ton of bits and bobs today and im surprised at how well some parts come up after a rub down and clean...

Back