Just got this lump of rust.. Have some questions!!

Man I knew this would happen dame to my OCD!!!!!

The Bloody tank came out really well to :banghead: :doh:

O NOOOOO Look what I have done just refurbished the yoke..

IMG_6710.jpg

IMG_6711.jpg

The only "before" pic that I have

IMG_6663.jpg

Last edited:
The tank is 99% finished, just need to rub out a few blemishes

A few pics just sat on the bike..

IMG_6715.jpg

IMG_6716.jpg

Close up..

IMG_6714.jpg

I still need to do a little sumin sumin around the rear tank mount as it still has a small amount of paint on it, but my hands where to sore to bother today...

Exhaust wrap came at last..

IMG_6717.jpg

IMG_6718.jpg

IT LIVES :D.....

Got the harness finished (at least I think it is!!) just need to plumb in a rear stop light..

To be honest the harness was way more straight forward than I thought it would be, just hope its all correct.. I will try and do a idiots guide to building a xs650 loom if I get a min next week..

So with everything "electrical" done I made up a Aux fuel tank out of a old Motul coolant bottle fitted the line and some new spark plugs and started to kick, five kicks went by with a few coughs.. I then bent down to the throttle cable location on the carb and opened it by hand a few mm (no cable fitted) , and bang it fired straight into life!!! and ticked over....

Now there is a small issue, I was gona just leave this with open pipes but my god its loud enough to wake the dead 2000 miles away so this may not be a option :mad:.. I will sort this out next week :bike:..

There is a few niggly little things that need attention but im well happy overall I do have a few questions that I will post in another thread...

IMG_6721.jpg

To be honest it was basic rattle can "satin black" spray paint from the UK's major auto spares store Halfords..

Normally I would blast and coat something like this but thought I would give it a go with the spray, and it came out really good..

I used several coats of farm implement enamel on mine, baked on. Key ring still did a number on it in short order. I'm not willing to change how I keep track of my keys for it....

Good job this bike wont have a key :thumbsup:..

The paint on it is far harder than I thought it would be and even with the bashing about that goes on when fitting these parts it did not affect the finish..

My thoughts with this bike was to get a basic working package (Low cost :bike:) and then next winter do a proper restore with powder coated frame/parts and bead blasting the cases.. I would see this bike almost everyday looking beat up and never moving and it was calling out for someone to see if they could get it going..

I have found out there is some animosity in the XS world regarding people hacking up and modifying these bikes :shrug:.. There was no way I could justify putting this back to OEM as almost every part of this machine had a issue that would cost $$$ to put right and it made far more sense to junk everything that was dead..

Im just glad I have "possibly" resurrected a junk bike into summin that im sure on a warm summers day when I catch a reflection of myself in a shop window will make sense!!...

Just have to get it "really" finished and on the road :doh:

Would also like to say thanks thus far for all the help :thumbsup:

I have found out there is some animosity in the XS world regarding people hacking up and modifying these bikes :shrug:..

I think the animosity starts when a good one is "de-engineered" as one guy here calls it. Especially if it's being done haphazardly, it makes you want to rescue it. On the other hand if you start out with parts and get it going and in fact rescue it, more power to ya. That's my thought.

Well done so far. I may have missed something, but are you leaving the tank natural unpainted, clear coating or? Think Supertrapps for silencers look and sound real nice.

Im gona leave the tank natural and coat with a light spray of WD-40 for the first 6 months and see how well it is protected..

I did however repaint the tunnel and a small area around the fuel tap location for a bit of underside protection..

Thanks for the comment :bike:

Just a mini update for the moment

IMG_6723.jpg

Bike starts first kick everytime :wink2: so that is a good thing, sadly there is a oil leak coming from LHS side engine case this looks like it involves replacing two oil seals or atleast I hope this will sort it :shrug:..

IMG_6726.jpg

Still waiting for the headlight mounts :banghead: and still waiting for a ton of really small parts like connectors, grips etc..

I removed the front caliper piston and it is corroded even after a good rub down :( so looks like a new one will be needed..

So far the bike has cost me about 170 pounds or about $250 US not bad me thinks, I would spend this on a cycle wheel :bike:

Things to do::
Flat track or Cafe seat and pad..

Make sure the bike won't burn to dust due to my wiring :doh:

New fuel cap and key..

See if I can pick up a set of rear shocks..

The fuel tap is a concern and Im not a fan of Vacuum taps as I have had issue on a few of my Honda V4's so "may" look at getting summin different..

Pod style air filters looking at either K&N or Ramair but will cross this bridge when I start to sort jetting..

Get and fit braided front line, these have gone up a sh1t load over the last year :wtf: and no one in the UK offers just one front line for this model so will have to start measuring for a custom line.. I always try and stay away from a 3line setup (Or 2 in this case) if only to help the bleeding process..

Sucks that im working on the bike outside as my normal work space is taken up with another bike, but the sun gods have been fair on me so isnt to bad..

Oh should say im gona try one of the small 12v 0.8ah batterys that have been spoke about on the forum will give a update on how it works (if it does??)

triniriderz

caliper piston..... Wemoto do a stainless one (UK)

flat track seat unit...... pm XS1961, he does a nice flat track seat unit, sells them on ebay but pm him & you will save a few £'s (UK)

fuel tap..... you can get a manual one & its well worthwhile

pod style filters..... I tried K&N type & they gave poor running in the wet, Ram type cured that (UK)

front brake line..... Try Earls, they make them to your sizes, good product & quick turnaround (UK)

Good luck with the build, been interesting following your progress :thumbsup:

Earls bloody hell I forgot about them :doh:.. I always used HEL nothing to do with a trade account of course :laugh:

Didnt think of Wemoto for the piston will get on there site in a moment, Ram air filters it is then..

Thanks

Been a while since my last update manly due to a few family commitments... The headlight and everything is all mounted as is the tank and new fuel lines..

Front brake caliper will be sorted within the next few weeks and im now looking at fitting a bobber style single seat.. Im not removing the shocks or anything just going to shorten down the rear end..

I will get some up to date pics up either later today or in the next few days, also need to sort some stubby style silencers as the open pipes just wont cut it with my neighbours or the coppers eyes..

Ram Air filters have been recommended and fitted so the end is in sight and looking forward to getin out on it as the weather in London has been awesome :)

Back