For Sale - Just looking for an opinion

cmattina1

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So, I am looking to buy my first bike and was attracted to the xs because, they are sweet.

There is someone selling a 78 special locally, asking 1000, but it needs new tires. Otherwise, it is in good working condition (to pass a safety). I was thinking about offering 800, and probabaly end up at 900.

Think that is a good price?

this is the only pic I got from the guy

yamaha_650_special_1978.jpg

not sure on your location but thats a great price on the northeast. hard to come by a clean one for under 1500 these days

thanks for the reply. I'm up in Northern Ontario actually, very short season, so I think that may influence the price(s) up here.
I'm thinking that after i get some tires on it, it will end up being closer to the 1500 marrk regardless.

for a fair/good condition, clean titled and running 650 in nj, ive seen them go from 1500-2500 in stock form. i think youre on the money with your assumption. 1500 at least

Go to the tech section read the new to me article. (link on the top right of every page. It could save you a butt load of time & $$$$ if you know what to look for before you go.
Hint: take a volt ohm meter along. I usually use the headlight gets bright when i rev it test but the meter looks more professional.

Ah,

I'm reading through this and will check out as much as I can tomorrow. However, that post doesn't really say too much about testing the battery, just replacing it, which i of course would like to avoid. Would it be similar to checking the charging (alternator) system of a car, i.e. check it with the engine off (multi metre prongs on battery), then start the bike and see if and how much the voltage changes by reving the engine?

Don't worry (much) about the battery, it's the least of your worries when buying an old bike. Is the charging system working is good to know because those parts can make batteries look cheap. the battery should show
at idle........12.6V​
at 1200rpm 13.5V​
at 3000rpm 14.5V​
(headlight gets brighter) If any of your readings are off by more than about 1/2 a volt there are problems somewhere.

So, I took a look and it seemed to be in great shape, with a decent amount of work done to it: fuses; starter; forks; carbs; replaced stock airfilter with K&N set up; new clutch; reapulstered seat. Started up great after sitting a few days. I noticed one leaking petcock after we turned it off (the petcock was still 'on'), and the tires definetely need to be replaced. As for the compression test he told me after three strokes he was getting 155-170, and after one stroke he was only at 75-80. (to be honest, im not quite sure how to interpret that)However, I was asking the guy, just because he has more experience on bikes and this bike than I do how it would be for long hauls, and he was pretty adament that it would not be good for them... I know they aren't the best for them already, but had a tiny bit of concerned he thinks something is about to go on it... He is also an VW/Audi mechanic, so I trust the work he has done (to at least some degree)

What do you guys think? I'd like to think I can suck it up and put up with a slower/rougher bike for a nice long haul trip this summer and fall... my other option is a CB650, which of course is a "better" long haul bike, but not cool.

Last edited:
If he is doing compression by kicking it that doesn't seem unreasonable. I did a 2000 mile XS650 trip but it was 35 years ago!!!

I hear you on it being 35 years ago. I am 23 years old so my back can take some strain, as well as whatever else (i'll worry about that later). I don't mind sitting at the side of the road in the sweltering heat/rain/hail/snow waiting for a tow truck. But then again, 35 years ago your XS was a new bike, so would it have been more reliable then than now?

For the compression test he said it was a reasonable PSI too, something "it's good, not the best, but it's an old bike". He seems like an honest guy, but at the same time, when someone says "it's an old bike, so no guarantees", it either means he feels guilty selling something that has some unseen problems, which he did not tell me about, or, is simply being honest, as it is old and he cannot guarantee anything as a private seller.

I really appreciate your help Gary!

Someone has taken extremely good of that bike or extreme care to cover up something about that bike.
Going on the face value of that one picture. Clean and stock. Usually the bike doesn't look nearly that good and still functions mechanically.
I think the ole fart has taken a shine to you to offer that bike for 1K. I'm not sure I'd try to lowball him. Instead ask if he could help with the tire change, oil change, brake fluid flush etc. and shop space to do it as part of the deal. What you get in education may well be worth more than 1-200 $. You may want to consider a 32 tooth rear sprocket for a long trip.

Back