just picked up a 1979 xs650 special

like it was said, cut it up. plenty of specials out there. Keep a nice standard stock if you come across one. I love all the things you can do to these bikes, there lots of fun.

like it was said, cut it up. plenty of specials out there. Keep a nice standard stock if you come across one.

There are way fewer '79 Specials out there than "Standards". As if the numbers had anything to do with it. Say the word "Special" and the mob comes running out of the village with their torches to kill the monster. LOL

Stock bikes, standards and specials, are becoming fewer and fewer while the ' no time for this bobber-chopper project' are being seen more and more in the craigslist ads. Ef'n amateur a-holes there imho. I would think that the no budget builds could be picked up for a song no matter what they're asking, but then the prospective buyers would be limited to those that want a chop since the bike would be f'cked for stock.
If yer gonna chop, have the funds to complete the job otherwise yer just an opportunist that doesn't have any love for this bike. And THAT'S the difference.

I can agree with that. If you're going to do it, do it right and not half-assed. In fact a large majority of the XS650's I see for sale around here all have something in the ad to the effect of "bought to make a bobber but lost interest, frame is cut in half and motor in a box, come pick it up $1500 FIRM" or "Bobber project, Im in over my head". I think you'll get a little more appreciation from the XS diehards if it's done well so that it does the bike justice rather than a bunch of parts thrown together.

Enjoy the build, take your time, and have fun.

well i'm going to do it right , i'm sure everyone says this but i'm not going to give up on this project. i'm not going to start chopping the frame till i get the engine and front end all the way i want it.
and why would i want to buy someone else's half done headache , i would rather have a never touched one so i know its done right.

Just change those buckhorn bars to a more normal style and you'll be amazed at what a nice bike you have. Handling and looks will vastly improve.

There are way fewer '79 Specials out there than "Standards". As if the numbers had anything to do with it. Say the word "Special" and the mob comes running out of the village with their torches to kill the monster. LOL

That maybe true but there are plenty of '80 on up specials to chop. plus I don't think the mag wheels are that desirable.

I like buying the unfinished xs projects for dirt cheap. That is how I found my decompression lever motor, in a half cut frame in a box.

i got a front break problem, i bled it but it still seems spongy i adjusted the bolt on the leaver all the way in , and its better but still wont stop the bike , any ideas ?

Just do something different.

Attachments

• WIERD BIKE.jpg
    WIERD BIKE.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 84
I picked up a 78 Special for $100. 10k original miles, sat outside for a year. The plan was to chop it (see sig for my other XS) but as I clean it up....its a REALLY clean bike. I'm going to restore it now....even though I think its an awkward looking bike. Doesn't drop a lick of oil either.....cant say the same for my '71 ;) Either way, enjoy it!

ps I LOVE the mags

Here is the '78 the day I found it, being neglected.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/MkIIMike/mybikes/chop1-1.jpg

This is your thread though. Why not get it all together 1st and ride it? You may actually like it. My dad has creaky shoulders and elbows - the 71 beats him up, but he loves riding the 78. I DO want to do a chopper of some sorts, and may do it over the winter, but don't short the bike in stock form...you might be surprised.

Good plan. I am going to chop mine as well, but right now I am working on getting it dead reliable and back up to par. I think I may chop it and do a simple brat style build first then ride it like that while I save the money to do a full chop and rephase.

Back