Just throwing this out there

Just a wee lil 20 here. But if I won the lottery tomorrow I still don't think I'd buy something new. I'd just build a good shop. Anything vintage, funky, and customizable is good for me.
So there's no such thing as 'upgrading' only different schools of thought.

I'm just shy of twenty and have a real respect for the XS in comparison to other bikes.
I get a different feeling riding it, being something I've built up and had my hands in makes me feel good.:D I don't think I could get the same thing from a hopped up crotch rocket.
Granted I wouldn't mind having both :laugh: (The need for speed is a weakness I have)
But I'm stickin with my XS, I think It suits me well.:thumbsup:
I've got high hopes for her.

Threadjack!

Hey man, have you been able to make it to any more trackdays with the bike? Love that build and I'm sure it garners a lot of attention at the track.

I need updates! :bike:

Sadly, no. Shortly after my first track day, I was transfered to China for a 3 -4 year assignment. The beast is back on the work bench, but now with a new ignition thanks to a fickle black box. I hope to get it out on occasion during annual home leaves.

Sadly, no. Shortly after my first track day, I was transfered to China for a 3 -4 year assignment. The beast is back on the work bench, but now with a new ignition thanks to a fickle black box. I hope to get it out on occasion during annual home leaves.

dude...how about some pics of your avatar?:thumbsup:

So i recently bought one of these bikes as a commuter. I've only ridden it for a couple months so far, and its still fun being out on the open road but i gotta know something... what do all of you see in these bikes! They're a chore to ride cause they vibrate like crazy and the trans is missing a gear! Plus, to anyone who doesn't know what the bike is, they look at it and think the little twin is a 250 or something. I mean, lets be honest here...

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2510& :thumbsup:

I have had several bikes over the years.
I've had them that go fast, A 74 Kawasaki H1 500, with many mods capable of 150 mhp. Some that handle well, the XS650.
I've had some that do both. An 82 Yamaha Seca 650 turbo. Never got it to run but they were fast and handled well.
I've had small enduro's An 81 Suzumi TS125, Top speed 62 mph down hill with a tail wind.
Currently I have 4 bikes street legal. An 03 Harley FXDX, An 81 XS650SH, An 80 Honda CM400E, a 75 XS650B with too many mods to list and more to come.
I like the Harley for the long haul on the highway, the extra weight and power make it nice on the long trips.
I like the XS's for commuting and running the two lane blacktop roads. Get them tuned right, geared right and they won't vibrate much. Good seats, bars an grips help on that too.
The Honda Is fun on the backroads, It's light, not much power but not bad, It's a counterbalanced 400. Smooth, Very flickable on the twisties.
So If you want to do a little tuning and replace a few parts the things you don't like can be minimized.
Anything in specific we can help.
Leo

Hey, I'm old enough to remember being made fun of for riding an oil leaking dinosaur (Harley ). Now all those same clod poles have two of em in their garages, and make fun of me for riding Yamaha's ( XS's ). funny how it all turned around.
If you don't like your XS,sell and shut up. Who gives a frogs fat ass what you think of the problems the bike has. I don't like Toyota's,or other non domestic autos, but I don't go over to those sites and give my opinions.
Hey, Just throwin it out there !!!!!!!!!

forgive me for just trying to see the appeal in these bikes! hey i own a lifted Jeep that most people would consider a horrible riding, underpowered gas hog but i love it so i understand! But i very open to trades so let me know whats out there... i'm definitely looking for something for freeway speeds though

I like my XS650, starting it is enough to put a smile on my face. This might be a little weird, but I keep a photo of it on my desktop and look at it when I need cheering up- heh. I've always liked how they look ever since I was a kid. I guess it is true, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I also like the feeling that given time and some patient mentors I can learn and understand _everything_ on this bike. There are no magical closed systems, with a little work (luck) a haynes manual and with a little help here and there from friends there is the dream that I could take this bike and separate it into all of the parts and put it back together again :). That thought is unbelievably comforting to me.

Highway speeds? I have crusied along a 80-85 mph up to a 5-6 hours at a time. The bike didn't mind and I don't either.
Leo

Highway speeds? I have crusied along a 80-85 mph up to a 5-6 hours at a time. The bike didn't mind and I don't either.
Leo

+1.

When you come onto these sites, you have to realize there are builders here. We all share ideas and information to squeeze performance out of the bike. The 650 isn't anywhere near as fast as a 4 banger from the same era, but there are plenty of modifications to make it handle well and vibrate less. I ride a 310mi (round trip) commute around twice a week in VT.

You'll find that people who work on old bikes appreciate that their bike now, at 40 years old, is way better than when it was new.

I forgot to metion that was before the 750 kit and was piled up with two weeks worth of camping gear. Maybe an extra 250 lbs.
After the 750 kit, new grips it would even be easier. The 750 kit doesn't get the above 4000 rpm vibes the 650 had. Lighter pistons is about all I can figure.
But it's your bike, if you can't ride it replace it. Not everyone can handle an older bike.
Leo

I think it might be a case of someone not knowing how to tune his bike properly, lol.

Back