Just throwing this out there

RESPECT to you guys on how you have handled this thread, I say that cause I have been involved on other bike Forums where any sort of dissention is treated with personal abuse being thrown at the poster by the fundamentalist purists.
My two bobs worth
The great thing about the old XS for me is it is very cool as a standard bike (I love this "the best british bike never made" saying) but most of all it is a great platform for modifying to one's own taste, be it either bobber/brat/cafe or tracker......just look at the pics on this site, part of the "fun" is making them go, stop, handle and look good.
If that's not for you then it's not for you...sell the old girl to someone who will keep it going and get a ninja gixer warp speed plastic mobile with dodgy electronics and surrounded in plastic, I won't bag you out, but I won't come over for a yarn cause they all look the same
IMO
CHEERS

Why XS650? Something like this:

Couple of months ago a guy called wanted to stop out and see my bikes, talk about XS650s. He came out, we chatted, I fired up my 83 and told him to take it out for a spin. He came back about a half hour later. Really enjoyed the ride. Said he had two XS650's, one complete but needing, well you know. The other had been robbed to keep the first bike going over the years and was getting pretty bare. He said do you want my bikes? I said sure I'll take a look and make you an offer. He said no just come and get them, I just wanted to know they were going to a good home. Do what ever you want with them. He had chopped em a bit "back in the day" and was kind of embarassed that he had let them go so far down. I tried to convince him to keep them and get them going again but he had too many irons in the fire and knew it wasn't going to happen. Then I tried to pay him but he didn't want my money. So the bikes came here last week. I mailed him the forms and checks for fees to get the lost titles replaced. Got a letter today, his wife "found" one title, dated 1981. She wrote a nice note that she "knew" there was reason she had kept the title all these years and sent the check back. Yeah there are "better" bikes than the XS650 but not many with more "soul".

You can kick it when it's too cold for your Walmart battery to start it.

I read a story about a major lawnmower manufacturer who wanted to get on with Walmart and they said deal, except that you have to redesign it to sell at this certain price. He wouldn't do it, couldn't do it in good conscience, and he ultimately benefited because of that. I suspect that tells a story about their batteries.

Harley riders have a saying that goes something like this: "If you have to ask you don't get it" And the is statement is true I understand that certain unexplainable something that makes the machine what it is. Now the thing is, this statement is also true about XS650's. There is a unique, infectious, undeniable appeal to the XS650. "If you have to ask, you just don't get it."

You can kick it when it's too cold for your Walmart battery to start it.

I read a story about a major lawnmower manufacturer who wanted to get on with Walmart and they said deal, except that you have to redesign it to sell at this certain price. He wouldn't do it, couldn't do it in good conscience, and he ultimately benefited because of that. I suspect that tells a story about their batteries.

I work at a outBoard repair shop and we sell batteries from a battery dealer, now they are not cheap but if you pick up one of our batteries up then a walmart batt their is a huge difference probably at least 25lbs! within one year the walmart batts begin to start failing load tests. Just my 2 cents

Harley riders have a saying that goes something like this: "If you have to ask you don't get it" And the is statement is true I understand that certain unexplainable something that makes the machine what it is. Now the thing is, this statement is also true about XS650's. There is a unique, infectious, undeniable appeal to the XS650. "If you have to ask, you just don't get it."

I grew up with... from a friend who owns a shop for over 20 years.. (given credit where credit is due)..

"Those who ride cannot tell you, those how dont ride cannot be told."

All the bikes Ive owned all have a certain feel or characteristic. And things really are different on a Harley... Ive ridden a bunch of them...

Some people ride their bikes strickly for transportation. Some riders ride for the entertainment it provides. Some ride for the rush. Gater 100 riders and get 100 reasons of why they ride. Some love stockers, some love bobbers. Some love the extreame styles. Some love to go fast some are cruisers. Some "get it" quickly about these bikes. Some take time or never "get it". To each their own.

I was 29 when I got my 1981 XS650 which is actually older than me. The first time I rode it was home from the shop and that was a scary night ride with no helmet. The first time I actually got to ride the bike, I was sold. Although I have owned and rode a few different types of bikes, this one just plastered a grin on my face instantly. I can't pinpoint why, but it does.

Asking someone if they like to ride is like asking someone if they like ice cream .
What flavor ?
The old farts here know I've spent 25 years with the same daily driver(not an XS) .
In the same space of time I've been without an XS just four years total and felt like I didn't own a motorcycle.
Now for the different flavors
Remember the Honda SL's ? Yup :D a XS650 dual sport , suspension donated from an IT Yamaha .
The short trackers . These were a variety of 360 , 180 , and "twingled" for little bull rings .
The 1/2-5/8 milers . little longer , lower if it didn't create torque it went in the trash .
the miler . even lower (usually on 18") longer pipe , 277 crank, a lifetime in head work .If it didn't make horsepower off the corner it went in the trash .
The road racer . An exercise in how to keep the crankshaft and rods from becoming atmospheric and ballistic at the same time . This was the only time I've changed primary ratio as well as 4th and 5th , Also as you might expect this was the most heavily modified engine with light valves ,rods , pistons and pins . A complete rethink on the oiling system and a collection of tubing impersonating a chassis near 22 LBs lighter .

Only flavor I haven't tasted is a drag raced XS .
All of the above are different thought and purpose as well as personality .
This doesn't include the 72 resto , the 79 rat , the alcoholic , the niece's on 17" (she's vertically challenged) the LSR project (not mine but it lives here on occasion , the SF(anyone cam make a mistake:D ) , the numerous 2F0's I've owned , or the irrigation pump ......
I still know where all my previous XS's are . I owned my first in '73 and there have been over 30 . Maybe that one fact alone says more than this whole thread . Now what exactly it says about the original poster , me , or the bike is uncertain . That it is unquestionably volumes there is no doubt

~kop

I own two bikes at the moment....I have a 2004 HD Road King, I've done alot of work to and love the way the bike rides and sounds...39,000 miles since I have owned her and i still love her.....she is like a great wife, hot, and still can turn heads, and can handle long rides...

My other bike is my XS....I built her with being nothing but a fun time in mind...she needs lots of attention, can get loud when you twist her grip, she gets lots of attention and is a fun, fun, fun date...kinda like a high maintenence girlfriend.....

I've had so much fun since I've built the XS, I have not had time to break her down for paint, still running raw steel with oil splatters and rain rides....I'm almost having a hard time breaking it down to paint as it will be a month or more I'll have to screw around with it....my wife (the "real' one) says let her rust, she will look tough that way... LOL
Tom

Back