Just wanted to say hi. I am new to the group.

Jafladd

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all. My name is Jacky Fladd and I am new to the group. I have been riding various bikes off and on since I was 8. My favorite was my 99 Triumph Legend and after that would be my first street legal bike which was an 83 Honda V65 Magna. My Dad always rode the Yamaha 1100xs special and that is probably the first street bike I ever rode. My last bike was a 1400 Suzuki Intruder but sold it in 06 to work on my Dad's 68 Ford Bronco. Since he had recently passed I wanted to make sure it stayed around for a while. It has been my daily driver ever since. My brother in-law needed to store a bike for a while and put it in my garage over the summer. It was and is still in a lot of pieces. One day I took a good look at it and it reminded me of Dad's old xs special so I am soon to be the owner of what seems to be a 1975 xs650. Dad always talked about them and wanted to find one and build a Bobber or something so we will see where it leads me. He was my mechanic and always gave some great help over the phone. I will be a little lost in the project without him but hopefully you guys can keep me straight. I look forward to meeting you and reading your posts. Not sure when I will get her finished but I will retire from the Army in 5 years and I would like to have a few good years of riding it under my belt before then. Dad always wanted to do Route 66 so I will be trying to get some people together and give it a shot, sooner hopefully than later.

Welcome to our little slice of heaven Jacky. There are lots of great people on this forum and lots of good advice and information available. A quick suggestion is to get familiar with the search function and the tech section, both of which will probably help you find the answers to your questions. Good luck and happy building.

Clayton

I'll start by saying welcome to the board.
There are charts that tell the year and model by the frame number. You will find them up in the XS650 TECH section. A good place to start studying.
The engine number and frame number matched out of the factory, but if yours don't, it's not a big problem. Engines are easy to swap. Some PO's did that rather than fix the engine they had.
I may be a bit biased but the 75 was the best of the bunch. The paint scheme was the best looking.
Leo

Hi Jacky and welcome,
if you want to make the bike into a work of art, great.
You'll see some superb examples of custom bike work here
(check out the 2015 calendar nominations for a start)
and you'll also see the occasional turkey but don't make
negative posts about those or you'll get snarled at.
But if you want to ride it, leave the rear suspension in place, eh?

Hi Jacky and welcome to our forum, sorry to hear the passing of your Dad, he would be pleased with you and up coming your project. good luck on your project and when you can we love pictures.

Sorry to hear about your loss, But welcome to the forum. I'll be happy to give advice but there's those on here who know significantly more than I do.

Look forward to seeing the build.

Hey there Jacky as the other fine members have stated welcome.
These guys are some of the best on the web.
They put with my crap so they must be.
And we do like pix and videos

Added an album. 1975 xs650b. Work in progress.

Update: The reason I was hesitating to call her mine was my brother in-law never got the title. He couldn't remember who he had bought her from. Lucky for me I found the manual in a box of parts and his name and address were behind the cover. The owner had passed before my brother in-law got the bike. I made a trip down to North Carolina and visited the address the son in-law, biker as well, told me he would find it for me. Just got the text tonight, I should have my title by the end of the month.

Also on that trip bought my 16, 17yr old this month, a 2004 Suzuki GS500f. She told me her Yamaha 125 dirt bike was getting too small and she wanted something bigger. I got the bike for her birthday at the end of the month. My wife is so pleased with me! I may stop sleeping on the couch by the time I get my bike running.
Jacky

Last edited:
Hi Jacky,
OK, where do I find the album?
[EDIT] Found it. Seems that "albums" is filed under "pictures", who'da thought it?
Anyhow, If this is your first XS650 the brake caliper and speedo hookups may be giving you a WTF? moment but it looks like your front wheel is in backwards? [EDIT]
Good you are getting the title. It's amazing to a Canadian that in some US states it's easier to register a handgun that it is to get a bike titled.
And BTDT with bikes, kids and mothers. The only choice with a kid who wants a bike is between a bike you know about and can make sure it's insured and safe and a bike that's kept hidden from you uninsured and in God knows what condition.

Last edited:
Welcome. Your in good hands.
I almost had a 82 v65 a couple years ago. free. owner said it ran, but when I got there, the carbs were separated, and in pieces. no dice, Clay. But the power of those must be amazing.
Good luck on your build. do your poppa proud.

Hi Jacky,
OK, where do I find the album?
[EDIT] Found it. Seems that "albums" is filed under "pictures", who'da thought it?
Anyhow, If this is your first XS650 the brake caliper and speedo hookups may be giving you a WTF? moment but it looks like your front wheel is in backwards? [EDIT]
Good you are getting the title. It's amazing to a Canadian that in some US states it's easier to register a handgun that it is to get a bike titled.
And BTDT with bikes, kids and mothers. The only choice with a kid who wants a bike is between a bike you know about and can make sure it's insured and safe and a bike that's kept hidden from you uninsured and in God knows what condition.

Thanks for the heads up on the front wheel. I have only seen it long enough to move it to storage and then after I bought it and washed it I moved it to my Father in-laws in preparation for bringing it to VA. I am hoping to pick it up this weekend and bring it back with me. Then I can actually start playing with it. Ill post more picks when I get it here.

Jacky welcome you came to the right place. I want to congratulate you on your retirement. I know you and your family have made sacrifices to serve your country for years. If you decide to chop I would sell the 75 and find a newer xs to chop. The 75 is a very sought and fairly rare model. Good luck. Tony C.

Posted via Mobile

Jacky welcome you came to the right place. I want to congratulate you on your retirement. I know you and your family have made sacrifices to serve your country for years. If you decide to chop I would sell the 75 and find a newer xs to chop. The 75 is a very sought and fairly rare model. Good luck. Tony C.

Posted via Mobile
Thanks, I've already decided it's too clean to cut. The only thing I will probably do is get rid of the fairing and rear box. I like the classic look.
Jacky

Thanks, I've already decided it's too clean to cut. The only thing I will probably do is get rid of the fairing and rear box. I like the classic look.
Jacky
Good choice. I also have a '75 that came with a huge windscreen, luggage rack and some aftermarket handlebars. Had been sitting since the mid 80's according to the expired tag. Not going to do any cutting on mine but can't help but "modernize".

I lived in the Gloucester/Newport News area in Virginia for about three years. Nice place.

Good luck with your build and don't forget the classifieds if you need parts.

Jason.

Back