Just went to change my sump filter and what did I find

vdubplate

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just bought what was supposed to be a new build with an engine rebuild. I noticed that the oil was looking a little old so I changed it and sludge literally poured out of the bottom lol. So i read up and found that I should check the sump filter. I ordered one from MikeXS in the event that I had to change mine. Sure enough mine looked like it went through hell. Sludge all over the plate and the filter had a gaping hole in it like some of you might have seen before. I've read that its a common occurrence.

So What really bothers me beside the fact that my engine is older than I am and it wasn't rebuilt is when I took off the bottom cover and the sump pump out there was this long piece of plastic that the engine was trying to pus through the filter. I'm attaching pics. Anyone know what the hell that is and where it came from in the engine? Below are pics of the hole it was trying to come out of which is dead center in that engine pic.

Also another question, the gasket is really stuck to the cover and engine. Is there a chemical or a way to get that to let go or do I need to sand that off?

img1184g.jpg

<br>
img1182sb.jpg

That's the rubber / plastic off of your front cam chain guide. It needs to be replaced or you will be making aluminum shavings. You will need to take the top end apart to get to it, this is a fairly common thing. Don't worry. Half the motors intake apart have had this happen.

Brush on some gasket remover and let it soak. You may have to apply several coats and use a safety blade or gasket scrapper to help remove it. I would not sand it. You may gouge the surface and you will have a leak. Be careful not to nick or damage the surface. When installing the new gasket just coat the gasket with grease and let it absorb into the paper. This will keep oil from migrating through the gasket and removal next time will be a snap. Not sure what the plastic is. What color is it.

How hard is it to take the top end apart and replace this? This will be the first engine I would be taking apart. Is it a matter of taking apart and putting back together? Or will I screw this up royally very easy and end up with a pile of shit? Lol? How long do I have before the engine goes to shit if I don't replace the chain guide?

vdubplate;

Did you pay for a re-built engine and get a high milage one that needs a re-build?? You should demand a refund from the seller. Chances are the rest of the engine is well worn. Be sure to identify the scoundrel so others will not fall victim.

The only way to know what condition the engine internals are, is to take it apart.

Yea I sure did. I bought the bike from G&L choppers for $6000.00 By the looks of the sump filter and what was laying on the tray it looked as if the oil was as old as the engine. I'm not a mechanic but I was thinking of going in and replacing these parts myself. Is that a bad idea?

vdubplate,
Yes the part by any other name is the same.
Shy away from used.(my opinion)
If you are going to try and recoup from your purchase STOP NOW until the dust settles.
If you are mechanically inclined this isn't a hard job.
If which hand to use a monkey wrench in confuses you, leave it be.

when i rebiult my engine, and when I drained it after running for carb tunning and such, it was slugdie too from all the assemblylube I used.
But after seeing your chain guide peice, you might have a high mile motor.
These motors are easy to rebiuld. i had only rebiult a lawn mower motor before this. If you have any mechanical skill, and a willing ness to be patient with carb tunning, you can do it.
Do you have a manual?

For gasket removal, soaking in any solvent or paint stripper helps. There are specific gasket remover products.
It's bit hard to tell from pic if it's the whole cam guide or just a side of it. Replace is best but the thin side pieces tend to bust off, probably not so big a deal.

to repllace the cam chain guide the head has to come off, to get the head off the engine must be removed from the frame (maybe not if chopper frame/modified backbone) the sump gasket will be a lot easier to work on with engine out and upside down so you can actually get at it

@gggGary: Yea from what I can tell the only pieces that came sliding out is the side piece so maybe your right. There were no black rubber/plastic bits so I don't think the whole thing was eaten up.

@angus67: I think i do have a high mile motor. It's a 75. There is also oil leaking from where the top end and the bottom end meet so I will most likely have to replace those gaskets as well.

I think if I had to I could take the engine apart and replace this thing. I watched a whole series of videos this morning on how to disassemble the whole engine and put it back together. The question is if I have to rebuild the engine is there a engine rebuild list of things to replace and check that i can reference? Is that in the manual?

If it was me I would check the compression, or at least shine a flashlight in the spark plug hole and look for signs of freshness. I think it could be possible that they could have done the top end and that piece of the the guide was down there and they didn't know it. Though they should have removed the sump plate. Not saying this is what happened, but it is possible. Sometimes people get backed up, get in a hurry, and forget things. It happens. But, then again, maybe they just threw an old motor in there.

There was a lot of grey slime on the magnet on the sump filter but if I was going to see metal shavings would it be aluminum? Where would the metal shavings end up?

There are two large drain plugs/bolts on the bottom of the engine. I believe those plugs are magnetized and work to filter out some of the metal shavings as well. I don't think pure aluminum has magnetic properties and wouldn't stick, but if there is any iron or iron composites, those should hold to the magnet. I was just wondering because who knows the last time any of that was checked. Even if you do find some metal and plastic, I don't think it necessarily means game over for the engine, but just something to keep in mind if you rebuild.

The aluminum shavings usually get trapped in the small filter at the pump in the right side engine case---tim

@timbeck: Ill go home tonight and pull that filter and see what I can find and report back.

@Rogue21: The engine is a 75, so your right who knows the last time the engine has had any service.

So I just removed the filter on the side. This is what that one was looking like. Lots of small black plastic particles. What do you guys think the condition of this filter is? Time to replace?

img1197w.jpg

<br>
img1196bl.jpg

<br>
img1194tk.jpg

Back