K&N's in stock airboxes or Pods?

scott s

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I have a '73 engine and '78 carbs. I'll be running a Pamco and Commando pipes.

Would you run the stock air boxes and K&N replacement filters or MikesXS pods?
The airboxes allow me to keep the dual outlet breather and route gasses to the intake. The pods would require a single outlet breather and I'd probably run the PCV valve and a breather filter vented to the atmosphere.

Some like the way pods open up the area and the ease of installation and removal.
Others say you need the restriction of the boxes to make the bike run better.
For the latter view read posts by Kopcycle(Kopsickle? check spelling).
I believe Grizld1 and 5twins have touched on turbulence and CV carbs.
xsjohn went both ways keeping his stock boxes but adding another vent hole.
For the first view......well read a bobber/chopper/brat thread.
But I think you will find it is more about esthetics.

I've used the pods before with no ill effects. Both genuine K&N and MikesXS pods. Both bikes had exhaust mods, as will this one.

Plus, I'll be running the factory side covers, so that should help cut down on the turbulence some.

Got a link about the airbox threads?

I run my 74 with uni pods. Runs great. I did previously have mikes pods. Plugs were always dark with stock pilot jetting, and needles and one up on the mains with bs-34s and mikes XS bonneville mufflers. Bike always ran good and pulled cleanly but didnt like how dark the plugs were. So i put uni pods on and not really to my suprise they pretty tan now. Bike always runs great even in wind. Might have to do with how sheltered the pods are behind those side covers.

My78 Kz650 on the other hand is a horrible bike with pods and stock exhaust. I put the stock airbox back on and suprise suprise runs darn near perfect. Just need to iron out a small cruising stumble at 3500rpm. But other than that it pulls like mad from a stop right to redline.

My 38's runs perfectly with Ramair (foam) pod filters but especially with the stock side covers fitted.
Ive found the K&N type filter messes up the carburration too much , not just on XS's

My 79 is running UNI filter foam over the stock filter frames in the stock air boxes that is working great for me. I removed the K&N pods it came with and added a Pamco it went from "crappy" to "perfect" running even though it's using some oil. It also has the Mikes commando mufflers and stock jets.

Back