Keep it stock or not.....

briandrex

Snowtrain
Reaction score
I've worked on bikes, mostly Honda Magnas and Yamaha Viragos. With Magnas it's 90 percent like to keep it stock and just like they came off the show room floor. I've been holding onto a xs650 for awhile now as I needed a bunch of parts. Well as luck would have it I'm picking up a nice parts bike tomorrow. The parts bike is a very nice 1982 Special II with minimal to no rust. The reason for it being a parts bike is lack of title but it only has 8000 miles on it.

Now I need to decide on what to do. I've been lurking on the forum but this is my first post. The parts bike has nice wire wheels, seat with sissy bar and rack. I will post pics when I get it home tomorrow. I just need to decide whether I stay stock or do my first bobber, chopper or some other crazy stuff. I guess from what I can tell, the xs650 is the bike to do something crazy with.
specialii.jpg

Last edited:
You do what you want to do with it, whatever floats your boat. :bike: Looks likes its all there but dont think you will get much flak from Bobing a special.
Good luck & keep us posted :thumbsup:

If I end up bobbing it is there any luck in selling the backrest and rack on sites like ebay? Just curious if parts off of this bike that I don't need can help fund the project.

The seat looks okay - also, the pipes look pretty good, and some people will pay good money for stock originals in excellent condition. If you're just going to cut them out for straight pipes or do something crazy with them, it might actually make more sense to go buy new ones and sell those.

It's gonna be interesting. I have a bad habit of cleaning up a bike when I first get it and then it's really hard to start chopping. I'm gonna have to look through the site and see if I can find a good example of one like this bobbed.

- sounds reasonable, although you might like to keep most of the real bits, even the rack you may find useful

That is true. Tomorrow is going to be a fun day to say the least! I just need to move some bikes around in the garage so I can sneak her in. lol

I have a bad habit of cleaning up a bike when I first get it

Doesn't sound like a bad habit at all. Quickest way to find out what it need's to get running right, inspected and in your case resolve the title issue before sinking more time and effort in a plan that doesn't yet exist. Whatever.....welcome to the site and forum. I'll bet you'll find a lot of helpful folk and good info......and very little flak whichever course you take. Best, Blue

I've definitely gotta take care of the title issue. Worst case scenario have a nice parts bike. I'm sure I'll have fun with it either way.

It's gonna be interesting. I have a bad habit of cleaning up a bike when I first get it and then it's really hard to start chopping. I'm gonna have to look through the site and see if I can find a good example of one like this bobbed.

Here is a tried and true recipe. tc bro hard tail highmount sportster tank, spray bombed spokes and rims 12 " apes........Straight pipes and pod filters..... 1/2 helmet..... obligatory tribal tat,SleevelessT,,, crew cut reflective sunglasess so you can admire in your mirror...... lots of chicks dig it :thumbsup::bike:

If I end up bobbing it is there any luck in selling the backrest and rack on sites like ebay? Just curious if parts off of this bike that I don't need can help fund the project.

I sold the ugliest back rest (sissy bar and pad) and luggage rack and windshield on e-bay and got like $300............BG

That's good to know. I definitely need to generate my own revenue for the bike projects. It's a deal I have with the wife. I can have as many bikes as I want in the garage as long as it doesn't come out of the family budget. So far I have six so it's working well! :bike:

I don't know if I"m a big fan of spoked rims so I think I'm gonna have to see what mag wheels I have laying around the garage tonight.:yikes:

make sure you monitor ebay before you sell your parts, I've noticed there are huge increases of xs650 parts at times, other times there are almost none. Don't get shafted, sell smart!

Mag wheels are a plenty on fleabay too lol.

Another special bites the dust.

I don't know if I"m a big fan of spoked rims so I think I'm gonna have to see what mag wheels I have laying around the garage tonight.:yikes:

If you like mags, there are plenty of people looking to get rid of theirs and get spoke wheels. You could trade someone and probably make $100-125 on the trade. If you find some in your garage you can use, you might get $175-$200 for those wheels.

I bought a nice Maxim 650 a few years ago for $650. I sold the windjammer for $100 on Craigslist and the luggage rack/backrest for $260 on eBay. Add a little money for a headlight from Maxim 750, some work to clean it up and get it running well, and I had a good little bike for about $300.

get it running and ridable first, to many people start chopping before they have a clear idea of what they really have, it easier to work something out when you have a complete platform than trying to work out the basic problems and the ones created by the modifaction process and who know you may find you actually like the stock machine

chop it bob it do whatever you want to it bro because its your bike and as long as it is cool to you thats all that matters!!!

Back