Keihin flatslide PWK carburetor, oppinions, issues?

Ok so I had a little issue with the throttle cables as I had them rigged a little off. Everything seems to be good now. When I kick it over it either just doesn't crank or it will kick the kick arm back in a violent manner (basically bruising my foot even w good boots on). Need to research what causes this.

Kickback can indicate your timing is off. You won't have much luck tuning your carbs if that is the case. You probably won't have much luck tuning these particular carbs no matter what you do.

Kickback can indicate your timing is off. You won't have much luck tuning your carbs if that is the case. You probably won't have much luck tuning these particular carbs no matter what you do.

That makes sense. The spark going off at the wrong part of the cycle sending the piston back wrong and pushing back on the kick. I will redo the the timing. The timing seemed to be the trickyist of the camchain/valve adjustment/timing trio. Thanks.

And youre probably right about the second point...

Right now I'm at #40 slow jet, #125 main, JJS needle with clip in #4 slot, air screws 1-3/4 turns out.

Other changes;
-Replace air filters
-Replace cables and adjusters
-Replace carb boots
-Stretch springs
-Lap slides
-Bend overflow tubes

Where are you ordering the JJS needle from? And by #4 slot you are counting from the top?

Wooohoooo!

Just got my pwk's running sweet. I bought a kit from Mike's xs about a month ago. Looks like they have resolved the issues that mrriggs had. My slides and bores are super-nice, and smooth. Not all gouged up like some of the pictures. Also, the throttle cable looks like a different design...I had no issues with mine.

I did have to do a little tuning. After bolting them on, and going for a quick test ride, I had a studder/hesitation/gurggle in the mid range. Seemed like it was rich. I dropped the needle down to the last slot, and put a larger main jet in the carbs. Nailed it! runs perfect.

Heres how I have mine set. I'm located in Colorado....so I do have a little altitude to compensate for.

-19mm on the floats
-40 idle/pilot jets
-115 main jets
-needle clips on the last slot (so that the needle is at full drop)
-about 1.5 turns out from bottomed on the mixture screws.
-2 into 1 header with a pretty much open supertrap muffler

Hopefully this helps someone out.

Last edited:
I ordered some of these carbs today and am assuming that there is no explanation included in the kit so... This may seem like a dumb question but, there seems to be a bunch of extra tubing in the pictures I have seen. I am used to a fuel line in and a drain out as the only hoses entering and leaving my carbs... whats with all the other tubing?

Has anyone installed these lately? Looking for an up to date review on the performance. If not these what should a guy run?

Has anyone done an install thread for these carbs? Been searching a ton. I installed them and routed my fuel and now have them overflowing on both carbs. Going to check float heights but wondering if I even routed the fuel properly. Do both top connections get fuel?

There are something like 8 hoses that come on these carbs. Make sure you are hooking up the correct spot for fuel. They do not come with fuel line on the carb, or at least mine did not.

Edit: There is only 1 fuel hook up per carb.

I saw a YouTube video on this and I am an idiot - the lines I connected must be vents or something. Some one needs to put an install sheet together for these - surprised there is nothing from mikesxs on this.

I saw a YouTube video on this and I am an idiot - the lines I connected must be vents or something. Some one needs to put an install sheet together for these - surprised there is nothing from mikesxs on this.
I guess there are 2 of us here that could be called "idiots" I did exactly the same thing is how I knew, and yes Mikes should include some kind of instructions when they sell these carbs.

Hey guys, easy on yourselves. There should be none of that going on. Most of the professionals out there had to learn somehow and mistakes were definitely made. Carburetor conversion is not as bad as everyone believes. It does require a logical approach. There is a catch to creating the instructional installation sheet. The kit MikesXS offers is already assembled with air cleaners and throttle cables. The only thing left is the connection to the rubber manifold. That is basically it. We know after this comes with cable adjust, synchronization and possible jetting. Perki48 was correct. There is only one main fuel inlet. It is protected from contaminants with a obvious red rubber cap. The smaller lines are all vents that are directed toward the ground. Several customers have tried to connect them somewhere and actually a few has tried to connect to the fuel petcock. MikesXS is begining to throw some videos out there for product installation. This one may be next. In the meantime, If there are any concerns or questions about any of their products be sure to contact customerservice@mikesxs.net. These guys are motorcycle people, out there to assist as much as possible.

. The kit MikesXS offers is already assembled with air cleaners and throttle cables. The only thing left is the connection to the rubber manifold. That is basically it. We know after this comes with cable adjust, synchronization and possible jetting. Perki48 was correct. There is only one main fuel inlet. It is protected from contaminants with a obvious red rubber cap. The smaller lines are all vents that are directed toward the ground. Several customers have tried to connect them somewhere and actually a few has tried to connect to the fuel petcock. MikesXS is begining to throw some videos out there for product installation. This one may be next. In the meantime, If there are any concerns or questions about any of their products be sure to contact customerservice@mikesxs.net. These guys are motorcycle people, out there to assist as much as possible.

Things aren't real clear on the site when it comes to information on the carb set up or what is required......even your post doesn't cover all the bases.

for $31 less Mikes sells a set of carbs that aren't assembled..........also going by what your saying jets one size up and down one size should be bought at the same time to dial in the carbs to suit the bike set up..........

Q; Does Mike explain the jet sizes in the carb so a buyer can get the correct up/down from what is in the carb.??????
A; yes ........... but you have to go searching through the list of jets sizes and it is explained when you come across the right size........But why would you when it isn't explained.

No where does is say extra jets should be bought for different types of bike set ups, only states a jet size for altitude riding........mikesXS also states there are no instructions because they are basically saying a novice should not be installing these.......Quote; "Note, this is intended for dealers or technicians, instructions are not provided".........nice out clause

MikesXS was started with the novice in mind as well so they could get these bikes on the road at a reasonable cost by doing it yourself

Last edited:
Hey guys, easy on yourselves. There should be none of that going on. Most of the professionals out there had to learn somehow and mistakes were definitely made. Carburetor conversion is not as bad as everyone believes. It does require a logical approach. There is a catch to creating the instructional installation sheet. The kit MikesXS offers is already assembled with air cleaners and throttle cables. The only thing left is the connection to the rubber manifold. That is basically it. We know after this comes with cable adjust, synchronization and possible jetting. Perki48 was correct. There is only one main fuel inlet. It is protected from contaminants with a obvious red rubber cap. The smaller lines are all vents that are directed toward the ground. Several customers have tried to connect them somewhere and actually a few has tried to connect to the fuel petcock. MikesXS is begining to throw some videos out there for product installation. This one may be next. In the meantime, If there are any concerns or questions about any of their products be sure to contact customerservice@mikesxs.net. These guys are motorcycle people, out there to assist as much as possible.
Heyyyyyy So I just got these and i am seriously stuck on what goes where. I think I've figured it out only by just guessing. I literally have almost no idea whatsoever how to install these. but i'm totally winging it and jumping in. If someone could post some sort of pics somewhere of what hoses go to which valve. and the fuel line and the petcock vacuum hoses go where? did i read that i need new boots? how do these connect? what about the choke thing, do I need to magyver those together? help is needed... just some direction.....

Back