Kick Start not engaging

stevoman88

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I have an issue with my kickstart. When I kick it, it works sometimes but other times it just drops with no compression. Could it be that the clutch is not disengaging all the way? Im unsure where to start here. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you!

Yes, that is what I mean. Could that be a reason why it does not kick over sometimes? I guess I could test it by taking the left cover off and trying to start it?

Before taking anything off, I would check my clutch adjustment. The kicker works through the clutch. If your clutch is adjusted too tight, it may not fully engage and the kicker could slip like that. Check the worm gear adjustment and make sure there is a small amount of freeplay between the adjustment screw and pushrod. More freeplay develops here as the engine gets hot so do the check cold.

Has this engine run while you owned it? An engine that has sat for years may have carbon and corrosion on the valve stems. The guides are dry of oil and the valve can hang, not close all the way. This can give a no compression feeling.

Pull the spark plugs and squirt oil inside the engine. With the plugs still out kick over to distribute and splash out any excess oil. This will initially oil those important parts, the valves and rings, that are dry and can cause engine damage on initial starting.

Like 5T says, if somebody recently messed with the clutch, adjustment is the first place to look.

Tom

Well I adjusted the clutch lever on the handlebar. Seemed to be very tight. I loosened it some and tried kicking it over and it worked 3 out of 4 times. Definitely got better. I will check the worm gear next. And yes I have had the bike running a number of times. I will get back to you once I inspect the worm gear. Thanks again for the help guys.

Back