Kicker travel

jefft

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
How far is your kicker supposed to travel through a full stroke? Mine ends up at almost exactly the 6 o'clock position. Is there supposed to be a limiter that can become defective?
jefft

mine goes to six as well. why do you ask?
Any further, and it would hyper extend my knee. no thank you on that.

Thanks for the response. The reason I ask is I just installed mid rearsets with folding footpegs. I am finding the kickstart lever hits the toe peg at the end of its travel. I have tried adjusting the brake lever with the adjusting hardware that came with the rearsets and I cannot avoid this contact. The maker I contacted suggested that it might be a defective kickstart limiter. I didn't know there was such a thing so I thought I would get some feedback from someone here. When your kicking it over you can't exactly stop at a certain position if your going to get a good thrust.
jefft

I hear ya. its either full kick and start the bike or you get nothing. some guys find clearance using sr500 kick arms. goes right on.

Found a company that sells those SR 500 kicker arms that are supposed to clear the brake toe peg. The name of the company is "Thumperstuff" and the kicker goes for $130.00 which is almost as much as my rearsets cost.
jefft

Sounds like you need to make a bend in your kick starter to clear the toes of the rear sets.. Mark the angle / points of the bend, put it in a vice, heat it up with a propane torch (I use a bernzomatic) and make your bend.. a mallet or vice grips usually helps.

Regretably it does look like that is going to be the fix. Has anyone else mounted Durghams mid rearset with folding footpegs? Your mounting experience would be helpful. I bought these after reading they were a, raise the peg kick and go proposition, and did not require any modification to the kicker. The shifter side went on without problems but the brake side is a different story. It looks as though the brake lever could have been about an inch or so longer and it would have allowed the full stroke of the kicker as the contact is just at about the 6 o'clock position of the kicker. The toe peg resides right at this position. I have adjusted the threaded adjuster everyway possible and I still am making contact with the toe peg when kicking. If I thought I was going to have to modify the kicker anyway, I would have probably found some full rearset to begin with.

jefft

I think that something more than bending of the lever is going to be required to make this clear the toe peg. It looks as though the kicker would have to be cut up close to the spline and a section added to get out and around the toe peg. If it was the actual foot rest I was trying to clear then I think bending would be an option. If I were to do this then I would have to rotate the kicker counterclockwise on the spline a few teeth so that the kicker wouldn't make contact with the engine cover in its normal relaxed position after the modification.
jefft

Can you please explain? I like the feel of my kicker now. When I kickstart my foot carries through the full stoke and usually ends up at the straight down position. To have something that limited this movement short of that I would think would jack your leg up by coming to a sudden halt. I like the kicker to carry through the full stroke.
jefft

Just an option...
Had to do this on some bikes with poorly designed or retrofit accessories, like floorboards and such.
Some customers tolerated this, some not.

a word about heating and bending the kick levers, the metal does soften, i went through two "special" kick start levers bent before switching to a older model. the bent ones would bend and flex under kicking, were good for maybe two kicks before hitting something. (11.5 compression and 780cc, mind you)

So is there any one out there you know of that has devised a way to utilize a kickstart with rearsets. I wish I had gotten the full rearsets. Bending the kicker to accomadate the footpeg itself seems a whole lot more doable to me then trying to get around the toe part of the brake pedal. The heck of it is that it seems like if this brake lever were just an inch or two longer the toe part of the brake lever would be far enough forward to have provided enough room. As it is it sets directly under the kicker shaft.
jefft

I bent mine to clear the forward control linkage (for the rear brake) using a heat, vice, big hammer then I heated it up again and quenched in oil.
Did the same to my side stand/kickstand.

Posted via Mobile

I will try to post some pics of interference as soon as I learn how to operate this new digital camera and how to post a pic.
jefft

Back