Kickstart not working - clutch problem?

JohnnyAction

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
When using the kickstart, the engine doesn't turn over. I can hear air being sucked in the carbs, but that's it. The bike is in neutral and my clutch cable isn't hooked up yet.

As I'm pushing the kickstart down, I am able to change gears up and down without issues. From what I read, it sounds like the clutch is dis-engaged and that's why my kickstart does nothing.

If this is the case, how can I test it? When I had my engine rebuilt, he used the newer 1 piece long clutch push rod. He also tested the kickstart and it worked. What could have happened when transporting the motor home?

Also, when I push on the push rod, it seems to bottom out on metal. Is this normal? I'm told it should be kinda squishy, because when you pull the clutch it pushes that rod in and separates the clutch plates.

I have to drain the oil this weekend to fix my grinding starter issue, so let me know if there's something I can check out while I'm in there. Fix two birds with one stone.

Yes, you can investigate all that when you have the right cover off for the starter gear fix - clutch operation, kickstart operation. It sounds like your clutch is disengaged. For now, I'd check the worm gear adjustment. If it's too tight, it can hold the clutch "open", keep it from engaging. Whenever new clutch operating parts (like worm gear, cable, pushrods) are installed, you usually need to reset the worm gear adjustment.

I'll take a peak on the weekend. Currently my worm gear isn't installed, so I doubt it's a worm gear adjustment problem. I took it off to inspect the clutch push rod. It struck me as odd was when the push rod bottomed out against metal. Is that normal?

Yes, I think so. It's all metal between the worm gear and clutch - steel pushrods and steel balls.

Back