KICKSTART novel NEW POSITION

ANLAF

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Here is my solution to the problem of the kickstart being in the way - it wasn't able to return to its position because the custom pipes run down the right side.

See what I have done on YouTube at

As far as I know the rachet mechanism is one-way, and spring return, but if any of you fellers jump in and warn me I am doing some untold damage in there, I'll just have to find another way.

By the way, I see video clips appearing in the body of posts - how do you do that?

Anlaf

There shouldn't be a problem with it other than you'll get less stroke or engine rotation per kick.

5Twins, the kickstart is held there (in its rest position) on a modified and covered wire coat-hanger (all advanced hi-tech stuff). When I turn the foot mount outwards as the whole kickstart comes up to its normal starting position. When its kicked it slots back under the great piece of design (hmmph!) and stays where it is.

Anlaf

Well, the only possible problem I see with that is when the kick lever goes down, it slides it's engagement gear in on a spiral gear, into engagement with a gear on a tranny shaft. If you push the kicker down while the engine is running, you'll notice you get a grinding sound. That's those two gears trying to engage. I noticed in your video that there seems to be some extra motor noise or ticking. Does that go away if you fold the kicker out and let it come all the way up? If so, then your "invention" isn't going to do.

I am mastering the art of kicking then putting the kickstarter away as it comes back up (no resistance that way - but I hear you on the pushing back down when engine running).

So far no noise of any kind from the kickstart area, even to the touch there is no indication of resistance.
As for the general noise - well, the mikes on these cameras pick up all kinds of rattles (and the tick over set a tad too high doesn't help) but when I get everything bolted down as things should be it may sound a lot less like a tin of washers. You will see the top end bracket to the frame under the tank - well, that transfers every little knock and ting to the tank, and it resonates as the tank empties. I am looking for some kind of rubber mounting for that bracket.
The other conspicuous noise I hear, certainly when riding, is the chain - when I slow it slaps and flaps about a little. I'll turn my attention to these details now I have a running bike. I am just about to fit an inline fuel filter.

Anlaf

Nothing back from weaselbeak, so adjustment of lifters is all part of the valve adjustment mechanism. True adjustment is replacement of valve guide seals and guides, but the normal cam chain adjustment then valves, then timing then carbs sequence is usual.

Anlaf

Back