Kickstart questions? 75 xs650b

estcstm3

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
HI All,

As I just created in the intro section, I just took ownership of a 1975 xs650b. This is my first older bike so bare with me. I purchased the bike from another forum member in NY and had it shipped to FL. Anyways the PO adjusted the bike up in NY and indicated how it would start 1/2 kicks full choke.

Down here in FL which is obviously warmer. I can only get the bike to start kicking if I leave the choke (enricher) off and give it throttle on the kick? Is this normal? Even once warm I noticed that I had to give throttle to kick-start? Could the problem be my chicken legs and that I am not generating enough force (only weigh 130lb)?

Anyways the bikes been great just wondering if im being a dummy.

As mentioned in your previous thread no choke is normal in warm / hot weather and throttle "just" above idle works on a lot of engines.

Thanks all! I ask alot of questions as you can tell.

The choke didn't concern (probably not the right word) as much as the need to twist the throttle during the kick to start. I couldnt get it to start by just kicking with the choke off.

Do you all have to have the throttle open to kickstart? Also how do I Know when I am out of the compression stroke? Many times the it feels like it wants to kickback. Sometimes I wonder ifs its because I only weigh a buck 30 with chicken legs =(

Last edited:
Sure it's the ole carb throttle twist. It's kinda a carb thing.
fuel injection just does not need this.
carbed engines almost always have a starting quirk and it is a little different on each engine.
Your a little over sea level now, if you took the bike up into the mountains startup would be a bit different most likely.

I always try to leave the throttle alone or it may kick back indeed. As long as you follow through the kick to the bottom it should be no problem it'll kick back toward the rear as opposed to into your foot. I'm not sure this engine has an anti-kickback device like an XT500 because I've had kick back at the bottom of the stroke. I could be wrong, but like I said this usually isn't too bad anyway as long as you leave your foot on the kicker and are into it.

what they are not telling you, is that each and every kikstart bike will have a different routine.thats just the way it is.elevation, carb settings, condition of engine, it all plays a factor.find the one that works for you.

my 79 xs likes the prime setting on the petcock if its been setting a day or two.not sure if yours has that but it makes mine a cold one kik wonder.and i always choke it cold no matter what the temp is. hot it will start one kik with nothing but you better be ready freddy with a throttle blip.then all is fine.

mine wont work with a halfhearted kik. i put it on the centerstand, put my left knee on the seat, run the kiker thru to compression and then kik it like its your step sisters cat.im 6ft 220lbs but its not about the weight as much as the technique.

I always try to leave the throttle alone or it may kick back indeed. As long as you follow through the kick to the bottom it should be no problem it'll kick back toward the rear as opposed to into your foot. I'm not sure this engine has an anti-kickback device like an XT500 because I've had kick back at the bottom of the stroke. I could be wrong, but like I said this usually isn't too bad anyway as long as you leave your foot on the kicker and are into it.

the xt500 had a compression release lever on the handlebar if i remember correctly, and you had better use it.

one thing i learned from kikstarting old harleys is to bring your body down with your right leg, never let your right leg completly lock at the knee.if you get a kikback at that point it can cause damage.keep knee bent at all times slightly and a kikbak is just a inconveinence.

Back