kickstart questions???

jeepguy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I was attempting to kick my motor to life for the first time and got a pretty hard kickback. One thing that i have noticed from watching other videos is that it seems like it doesn't take much to kick the lever all the way through.

now i dont want to think im a big puss cause im not but it just seems really hard to kick. any ideas thoughts or funny critisism is welcome.

Kickback can be an indication that your timing is off.

Yes, but it's probably not exactly timed yet. The timing doesn't need to be off by much to cause the kickback. Get it started if possible and use a timing light on it.

Well if I could get it started i would, haha but that is the problem I am getting kickback. What do I do about that. In order to make it easier to start? It is kick only

I would adjust the timing a little bit to one side or the other from where it is now to see if that helps - or you could bump start it, lol.

after she kicks back a few times, its easy to get a little (not calling you a pussy) scared and not kick through completely. you can pussy foot around with it, gotta kick through it.

Well yes, when everything is right, these are very easy starting bikes, just one kick many times.

so the aftermath of the kickback is a pretty swollen ankle but i went out side and was turning the motor by hand listening and it has a sound to it. not sure what it should sound like since i have never delt with this motor before. but was wondering if an overtightened cam chain could not only cause a rubbing sound and or the kickback i am getting.

or i am just looking for every little thing and it is nothing.(maybe sounds like pistons arnt getting lubed.

Back