Kickstarter issue

itschrisb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I’m working on getting my ‘79 up and running. The PO had the kickstart all messed up and half installed. After realizing it’s missing the kick clip I ordered one and after about 10 tries I feel as if I have the kickstart installed correctly but it still will not kick. I installed and adjusted a brand new clutch cable today thinking maybe that had something to do with it. I’ve looked over all the teeth and none show signs for concern. I’m at a total loss, does anyone have any suggestions?

What do you mean, "doesn't kick"? Does that mean the kickstart lever doesn't move? Or does it fall through without engaging the engine? We probably need a clearer explanation.

What do you mean, "doesn't kick"? Does that mean the kickstart lever doesn't move? Or does it fall through without engaging the engine? We probably need a clearer explanation.

hey sorry it doesn’t move. It moves the distance to engage and then after that it’s locked. The engine does spin I checked to make sure it wasn’t seized.

From the tech menu an exhaustive look into the kick start system with common issues and helpful install hints, written by inxs http://www.xs650.com/threads/kickstart.772/
It would be nice if you report back what the issue was, and give props to the info that helped you fix it.

I’ve read through this thread a few times. None of it really relates to me considering I can’t even get the kicker to move let alone figure out if it recoils but I’ll keep reading. Thanks

Check this; is the rear wheel, chain on? if so rotate the wheel forward, spin the tranny forward a bit, then recheck kickstarter..

Check this; is the rear wheel, chain on? if so rotate the wheel forward, spin the tranny forward a bit, then recheck kickstarter..
I’ll give this a shot. Do I rotate it in gear or in neutral? Unrelated but maybe not entirely, when I try to roll my bike in gear it just drags the rear tire. Is this normal or should you be able to bump start it similar to a car? Sorry if this is a stupid question lol

They can be bump started, usually in 2nd or third gear with the weight of the rider on the seat. otherwise the tire will just skid.

They can be bump started, usually in 2nd or third gear with the weight of the rider on the seat. otherwise the tire will just skid.

After rereading over that last thread you linked with the red and blue areas I want to try one more try at installing the kicker. If that doesn’t work I’m at a loss and will probably just rewire the electric starter again.

The kicker works through the tranny gears and shafts, then through the clutch hubs, one of which is connected to the crank. This is why when you pull the clutch lever in and try the kicker, it just pushes through without spinning the motor. You have disconnected the outer clutch basket, which engages the crank, from the inner clutch basket, which is mounted on the end of one of the tranny shafts.

Have you ever ridden this bike so you know the tranny works? If not then maybe your kicker install is fine and it's a transmission issue, as in it's locked up for some reason. Can you work the bike through the gears with it on the centerstand, bump the rear wheel around with the bike in gear so you spin the tranny shafts and turn the motor over? I'd try that. It should tell you if the tranny is locked up or not.

The kicker works through the tranny gears and shafts, then through the clutch hubs, one of which is connected to the crank. This is why when you pull the clutch lever in and try the kicker, it just pushes through without spinning the motor. You have disconnected the outer clutch basket, which engages the crank, from the inner clutch basket, which is mounted on the end of one of the tranny shafts.

Have you ever ridden this bike so you know the tranny works? If not then maybe your kicker install is fine and it's a transmission issue, as in it's locked up for some reason. Can you work the bike through the gears with it on the centerstand, bump the rear wheel around with the bike in gear so you spin the tranny shafts and turn the motor over? I'd try that. It should tell you if the tranny is locked up or not.

I have not ridden it yet. I bought it as a non running project and was told it had an electrical issue and the kick starter needed to be installed correctly. So I started on the wiring and then wanted to get the kickstart working before I moved any further. I can work through the gears, neutral is a pain to find, but otherwise it seems fine. When I replaced the clutch cable last night I came to find the old one wasn’t even attached inside the case. It seems like this bike is probably going to be more of a project than I was lead to believe haha. Also thanks for an informative reply with a better explanation and possibility of why the kicker could be stuck. I was pretty positive I exhausted the normal culprits and came here looking for a more in-depth reason as to why it may still be stuck.

OK, you can work the shifter through the gears, but can you bump the rear wheel around while in gear and have it spin the tranny and turn the motor over? That's the "check" you'll need to perform to see if the tranny is locked up or not. Take the spark plugs out, the motor will spin easier.

OK, you can work the shifter through the gears, but can you bump the rear wheel around while in gear and have it spin the tranny and turn the motor over? That's the "check" you'll need to perform to see if the tranny is locked up or not. Take the spark plugs out, the motor will spin easier.

I’ll check that today, previously when I’ve attempted to get the rear tire to spin in gear it just drags the tire. There doesn’t seem to be any give at all. This was just trying to roll it on the ground in gear. I’ll jack the rear end up off the ground and see if I can spin it in gear that way.

now if I spin the bolt under the left side cover, crank bolt I believe, while it’s in gear that’ll bump the bike forward. Does that mean anything?

Last edited:
Well, that's a good sign. It seems to indicate turning the motor is also turning the tranny gears and shafts, which then turns the rear wheel if in gear. That would seem to indicate the tranny isn't locked up but I'd still try the rear wheel test just to confirm the tranny is turning. Try it in 2nd or 3rd gear, it will turn easier than in 1st.

Once you've established the kicker assembly correctly installed and the transmission turning freely, I'm thinking it could be time to pull the clutch basket. Maybe the starter gear has it jammed up.

Once you've established the kicker assembly correctly installed and the transmission turning freely, I'm thinking it could be time to pull the clutch basket. Maybe the starter gear has it jammed up.

I’m thinking you’re right on that one. I ended up picking up another xs650 tonight, an ‘83. It’s a much more complete bike so I’m gunna focus on getting that going so I have something to ride while I tinker with the ‘79.

Back