Kickstarter return spring, and shift shaft issues.

durgam_K

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Issue ( 1 )
MY kickstarter wont return all the way. IM pretty sure this is just a spring issue in the clutch side.

Issue ( 2 )
I was changing the shifter on my 1980, and i pushed the shift shaft pretty far in. There was already lots of play, and now, it feels disengaged. Do i need to split the cases to remedy this, or can i access it from the clutch side.

Thanks, Kris

the k/start spring needs a bit of pre tension when installing the k/start shaft i fit the kick lever to it slide it in till the gears are almost meshed get sprng on lug then rotate the shaft about half way then push it home carfully remove kicker & then give the shaft a bit of a hit with a hammer to get it all the way in the shifter shaft has a c/clip on the left hand side check to make shure its still in its grove good luck

Thanks, for the info. Ill be looking at it this weekend. Im still leary about having to split the cases fro that stupid shift shaft though.

Thanks, for the info. Ill be looking at it this weekend. Im still leary about having to split the cases fro that stupid shift shaft though.

Don't get carried away here.................there's no need to split cases. Yes check for the c-clip on the left side. If it does not feel right then take off the right engine side case (drain oil first), for an inspection.

There is nothing under the right side cover that needs to be hit with a hammer. If the shift shaft won't slide in then it's bent. Striaghten it untill it slides in. The kick start will slide right in with out a hammer.
The repair manual explians how to install the kick shaft.
Leo

Back