Kinsygrl 2014 build off thread

Kinsygrl

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
image.jpg
Ok, so today I started working on a mold for my leather seat I'm building from scratch. First I made this template from card board.

My next step was to make a mold to shape the 8oz. Veg. Tanned leather over....
image.jpg

This was done by cutting a slightly smaller version of the cardboard template from a 1/4" plate and welding bar stock around it and grinding a radius around the edge. The next step is to soak my leather to soften it and stretch it around the mold, staple it to a wood backer and let it dry.

So I want to tackle building my own seat for this bike and after looking at some kits and watching a few videos I think to my self how hard can it be? Knowing I want to do some carving and stamping I decided to build a good heavy table to beat on. So last Saturday I find a "make offer sale" and scored huge on some wood to built this 24" x 37" table. The thing weighs like 90 lbs. and its plenty sturdy enough to do all kinds of bad things on:laugh:
View attachment 37683

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 54
Because I can't leave well enough alone I decided to make some decorative supports for the sides to join the front and rear legs. After coming up with a few designs I settled on this... Apologize for the photo orientation:(
View attachment 37689

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 60
I didn't mention that I wanted to do this in wrought iron, but in researching, found out it is very hard to come by nowadays. So I bought 12' of 5/16 square rod, ad some 3/16. I used a torch to bend the larger stuff, and after all was welded together I beat it for what seamed like an eternity with a ball peen hammer to give the look of wrought iron. This is how it looks so far before I paint it black.

View attachment 37690

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 82
Technically the table is a tool I will be using to make the seat so I thought I would add it to my build thread....hope you enjoy, I'll post a pic when I mount the leg brace to the table.

I didn't mention that I wanted to do this in wrought iron, but in researching, found out it is very hard to come by nowadays. So I bought 12' of 5/16 square rod, ad some 3/16. I used a torch to bend the larger stuff, and after all was welded together I beat it for what seamed like an eternity with a ball peen hammer to give the look of wrought iron. This is how it looks so far before I paint it black.

View attachment 37690

I work with professional welders and fabricators all day long that couldn't make a piece that nice. Great work can't wait to see it finished.

I work with professional welders and fabricators all day long that couldn't make a piece that nice. Great work can't wait to see it finished.

Thnx Sonic. I've been drawing since my mother took me to see starwars at the age of four so six years ago when I had the opportunity to enter the welding field through a state funded five week crash course I was lucky enough to marry the two skills. People see my art and ask "why on earth are you a welder" then they see some of my sculptures and get it. Thanx again.

Today I finished the left side leg support for my leather working table. After a nice coat of mat black I think it pulls off the wrought iron look pretty well. And all of a sudden it hit me... The name of my build is......
View attachment 37697
THE RITUAL, MWA HAA HAA HAA!:laugh:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 65
The iron looks real good Man.
I like to make scrolls too.
I built a large wrought iron table it must have weighted 500 lbs or so.
I'll have to get on the other computer and dig up a pic of it.

The iron looks real good Man.
I like to make scrolls too.
I built a large wrought iron table it must have weighted 500 lbs or so.
I'll have to get on the other computer and dig up a pic of it.

What are scrolls Carbon? And I'd love to see the table. This was my first attempt at the iron.

Back