Knee cant take it anymore, need electric start

cafeguy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kicked the bike over the other night and slipped, landed with my leg straight and it hurt like a mother f***** im tired of it, when i bought the bike the previous owner said the generator is going out, im guessing the battery isnt in the best condition either, when i press the starter switch it just goes "tick tick tick tick" where would you guys start? any unsarcastic help or info would be greatly appreciated!

Been there man. Had the little peanut pin in the advance unit come out while riding...no matter what I did, it would not start because the advancer was just spinning free (little did I know at the time.) So I sat and kicked for like an hour until my legs were shaking and likely bleeding internally.

Put the pin back in and it fired up first kick the next day....

Anyway grab a voltmeter and take some measurements off the starter, stator and battery. That should give you a good indication of whether or not your generator truly is beginning to fail. However the starters on these bikes are junk...every XS i've had, had a terrible electric starter. The readings you should get can be found with a quick search on here or in the clymer/haynes manual.

Good Luck!

I just wired up my starter motor on my bobber today. I to was sick of kicking over and over and what i found out was when your battery is weak the ticking will go on. Charge up your battery. Worked for me

It's a system or chain, all the parts need to work, so start with the charging guide in tech, get good charging of a tested good (and large enough) battery and on to the starter system which is well detailed on here in many threads also. Go at it slap dash and you can spend days chasing your tail. Your choice.

could i try hooking it up to a car battery with jumper wires and then see if it works? dont bash me im new to all of this!

Sure you can try that, just to check the starter motor, bendix and gears, all you really need is jumper cables. There is a stud on the starter motor case that the +12 goes to.
43eb_1.jpg

The stud with nut on the left in the pic.

Here's a starter system thread.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=948

Here's a charging system thread.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10561
There are more threads in tech, look and read....

You have been led to the path of knowledge. Drink deep and ask questions about anything that is confusing. Do that and no slams will be dealt. BUT if you post dumb questions that indicate you have made no effort to drink from the pool of knowledge found here, bashing is fair sport. Let us know how it goes!

CafeGuy...if you're used to immaturity, teenage hot heads, and misinformation...you're in for a pleasant surprise. This is one of the most active and well educated forums i've ever discovered...and gggGary is at the top of that educated persons list! Listen to him lol.

Back