Knocking / Clunking noise in trans area while rolling in N?

PaulF87

XS650 Member
Reaction score
It was a bad weekend for the XS.. I burnt up my headlight fuse Friday night, which trashed the fuse block itself. My batteryless setup seems to be the culprit for that, so it is what it is.

After getting that all squared away, I took it for a spin. Noticed a real strange vibration on deceleration accompanied with a strange noise. Almost suspected it was a bound up chain link, so I pulled, scrubbed and degreased it. Lubed it back up, but it was not the issue.

With the bike in neutral (engine on or off) if I roll it back and forth, I can hear a knocking sound that sounds as though it is nearest the sprocket on the trans side of the chain drive setup.

Has anyone encountered this issue before? If so, any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Hey, PaulF87. There *is* a rare history of dogs breaking off the 5th slider gear on that side. That's also the area where a mis-inserted dipstick could jam into a gear. That 5th slider gear, marked "5" below, is splined to the output shaft, and will spin when the sprocket is turned.

77-up-Trans02.jpg

That 5th slider gear is available from MikesXS.

Maybe you could peek up in there. Member glennpm used a borescope to examine his transmission, up thru the rear drainplug. Long thread:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/overdrive-5th-gear-dropping-slipping-out-to-neutral.41539/

Fearing that it's a counter shaft bearing... I've already got a motor from my truck torn down in the garage, I really don't need another one. I'll do further diag, but I'm wondering if I could get away with just separating the bottom half of the case while leaving everything else in tact. (motor assy out of bike of course)

I'm wondering if I could get away with just separating the bottom half of the case while leaving everything else in tact. (motor assy out of bike of course)
You can do that. You don't need to do anything to top end to get the bottom case half off. Another thing to look for -- maybe -- is a loose rear sprocket. The locking tabs can be working but the sprocket will get a little loose and it sounds weird if you spin the rear wheel.

Not hard to get the bottom of case off. Maybe half day to fix it and seal it back up. Permatex Motoseal is probably better than Hondabond, etc. Bit thinner and longer working time. Harder part is getting out and back in frame. If you can get one bolt through though the motor is as good as back in. Might need impact wrench to remove the motor mount bolts; those 1/2" electric ones are good and have lots of uses.

Last edited:
Back