Kreem tank sealer, Worth it or not?

mikeyBskunk

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read on Kreem tank sealer, and it sounds like a good product, im wondering if anyone has used it and could tell me if it is worth the $40 bucks

Thanks

Mikey

There's a lot of guys that say it sucks, like it comes off in sheets inside the tank.

Something about it working like shit with today's fuels. If the tank is pressure tested and you just want to seal it for insurance, I'd skip it all together and run it as is.

That being said, I have used a blue sealer from Eastwood iirc. We bought it to seal the tank of a rat rod we built and had some left over, it really kicked ass. But I put it in a cheapo sporty tank that literally came out the box with 4 holes; we welded em up and sealed it just to be sure.

I am a firm believer in POR15. Follow the directions in the kit and you will never have a problem again.
I have attached a picture of Kreem as it was removed from my Kaw 900 tank. I am sure it was not properly installed by the previous owner, but it shows what can happen. I was lucky to be able to pull it out this way. If it comes loose in small bits, they find their way into your fuel system. This will not happen with POR15.

Attachments

• KZ900A 015-1.jpg
    KZ900A 015-1.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 237
I have used the por15 and the caswell stuff. To be honest, I wouldn't use anything ever again. As long as there are no holes in the tank, the electrolysis method is what you want to do.

Think about all the cars and bikes out there with no tank coatings and no problems. The risk is too great, in my opinion, that the coating you pick will fail at some point.

Clean the tank good. Put gas in it. Check the inside of the tank after the first year or riding, maybe do the electrolysis once every season or every other off season. . . . takes minutes . . . literally.

Check out this link:
electrolysis02.jpg

Hmm, thanks i think i will just run it how it is. it is a new tank and the inside looks fine i was just wondering...
Thanks again

Mikey

I have tried kreem in several tanks. DONT DO IT!

Years ago with old school gas.

I've had the Kreem kit in a tank now for over 15 years - still fine. As mentioned - AND THIS CAN'T BE STRESSED ENOUGH - you have to apply it properly. I used the full kit with the acid etch and neutralizer. As I said, it's still in there and working fine. I just applied it to another tank last summer. This one was bad, really bad. I soaked and flushed it for a week or so before even starting with the Kreem kit. So far it's good but I realize it's too soon to pass a final judgment. Bottom line - proper install means everything. Do it wrong or half way and I think any product will fail.

Another +1 on the POR-15. But plan on spending a whole day doing it. Follow the instructions EXACTLY how they say, and you will not have a problem. My tank was nasty, and the POR cleaned it right up, and has not had a problem since.

I had Kreem in my BSA tank for 10 years without a problem. Follow directions to the letter and you should not have any problems.

Back