Latest project

Battery box is home made.
Mock up using a sheet of card, cornflakes box whatever, to get the sizes and bends right.
Use that as a template on a sheet of thin aluminium. Bend in a vice using angle steel as guide bars.
Fiddly but if you do all your testing on the card pretty straightforward.
I need to make another version of the battery box as I am not 100% happy with it.

Memory is not as good as it used to be but I think the calipers were early XS750 calipers bought from DK Motorcycles.
Whenever I use non XS650 Yamaha parts I go on line and check the numbers on Yamaha parts diagrams. There are loads of sites with the parts diagrams on.
The master cylinder was a universal one I found on e bay. It is supposed to be for a single caliper set up but seems to be okay for the twin set up. I will let you know at MOT time.

good luck with the MOT:thumbsup:

Battery box is home made.
Mock up using a sheet of card, cornflakes box whatever, to get the sizes and bends right.
Use that as a template on a sheet of thin aluminium. Bend in a vice using angle steel as guide bars.
Fiddly but if you do all your testing on the card pretty straightforward.
I need to make another version of the battery box as I am not 100% happy with it.

I'm impressed as it looks more like stainless in the pics :) I've got a fair bit of ally sheet kicking about so I may well have a go at one, I was just going to make sidepanels but the more I think about it I think a battery box will look much better!

You can hide all sorts of crap in a battery box, crap that may poke out around side panels.
If you can't get the bending right, mark out panels and cut the sheet then TIG or MIG. If you can't weld find a local guy, they don't charge too much if you do all the prep work.

I was thinking of a battery box that includes somewhere to stash a lock and chain as well the rest of the electrical gubbins so it seems the way to go. I work in engineering so any welding I can't do I can normally get done either for free or the price of a cup of tea ;)

Back