Leaking petcock

rider119

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Stock tank and petcock, gas leaks out of the little channel in the plastic part of the petcock. Can I just plug that with some yamabond or something?

The weep hole is there to let you know the diaphragm is
shot. The replacement kits are very year specific. You may want to get this part from the dealer.

I think Mike's sells both kinds. On the stock vacuum petcock, the mount holes are farther apart than the stock non vacuum petcocks.
Mike's sells a non vacuum pet cock that has the same bolt spacing as the stock vacuum pet cock.
You might find them other places.
I have not had much luck rebuilding the vacuum petcocks.
Leo

Yea Leo, Mike's does. The manual replacement for the vacuum style is now over $40. Not real bad and definately better than the vacuum type. The Bung hole on the vacuum type is 46 mm center to center, the older one's are 43 mm. I got the replacement manual for mine when it was $20. Still works great.

I have a question to add. my right petcock is now leaking and the rebuild kits do not include the diaphragm spacer where it is leaking. Can I replace that one side with a new non-vacuum petcock and have it work and not effect the other vacuum side? Or do I have to replace both sides at the same time? Or, should I just remove the second petcock and go down to one?

1979 XS650 Special - comes stock with 2 vacuum petcocks.

#1 You can change the bad one out now and run the bike fine. You can even leave the new one turned off. The vacuum petcock can feed enough to run the bike.
#2 You can change both now, because the other will fail soon. It's as old as the one that is already bad.
#3, convert to just one petcock. If you do this. eliminate the right side petcock. Thus way if you need to hit reserve you can do this and keep your hand on the throttle.
Leo

I have a question to add. my right petcock is now leaking - - -
1979 XS650 Special - comes stock with 2 vacuum petcocks.

Hi fig 1,
are the two petcocks handed?
That is, is there a left and a right petcock so that both taps point back for prime and forward for reserve?
If so, what you can do is convert them to manual operation.
Remove the diaphragms and shut-off thingies and replace them with plain gasket material.
Swap the petcock levers into the opposite petcock bodies.
Once the levers are swapped PRIME becomes RES, ON becomes OFF and RES becomes ON.
Of course, you can choose to do the swap on one petcock and blank off the other.

Back