Leather preservation

wesleyonoel

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Soliciting information/experiences/suggestions/ideas for preserving/protecting a freshly covered leather seat on a 1939 Indian Scout. Have been reading about Lexol and Pecards which both sound pretty good. Have discounted use of neatsfoot oil and lanolin but am open to input. Anyone know anything about Skidmores leather cream?

Lexol is a well-recognized standard in the equine saddle arena, here in the Northeast.
And I can speak to its effectiveness in many leather applications I have used over the years.
Plus, it has a smell that is "genuinely aromatic" in my opinion.

I use Brooks Proofhide on my bicycle saddles. Was planning on using it on my Counterbalance Cycles seat for the XS650. But open to other ideas too!

prod11675_IMGSET.jpg

Beeswax based products seem to work well. Leather loves use. RIDE the beech!

Soliciting information/experiences/suggestions/ideas for preserving/protecting a freshly covered leather seat on a 1939 Indian Scout. Have been reading about Lexol and Pecards which both sound pretty good. Have discounted use of neatsfoot oil and lanolin but am open to input. Anyone know anything about Skidmores leather cream?
Pecard's is a very good product that I've used for years, dunno anything about Skidmore's.

Actually I would ask the guy who covered the seat what to put on it, if anything. I wouldn't worry about it too much and if it needs covering again someday that you could have prevented, no big deal. If it was going to rain on it I'd probably cover it with a shower cap :)

For years I've used neatsfoot oil on my boots and jackets. It replenishes the leather's natural oils, softens and preserves. But, it's not a cleaner. For that I usually use a spray product called the Tannery, or sometimes even go real old school and use saddle soap. So, my leather care regiment is a 2 step process - clean then treat (oil).

Here's another approach, especially since it's a seat. One time I decided to put some motor oil on my saddle bags, and found that it wouldn't soak in. It would soak in the straps fine, but not in the bag itself, either from the outside or inside.

Since they are definitely leather, I decided that it must have some kind of plastic layer. There doesn't appear to be anything to wear off so it might have been a very thin solution of a flexible plastic, maybe water thin epoxy, that was allowed to soak in. Makes it very tough and resistant to the elements. You could look into that. It doesn't change the appearance of the leather. As you can see, the bags are very happy with it.
bag.png

If it was going to rain on it I'd probably cover it with a shower cap :)

I do that with my bicycle! Or a WallyWorld bag tied over it, when I get caught out riding in the rain. You can really muck up a Brooks bicycle saddle by soaking it, while sitting on it.

I don't know that I'd want to use boot grease on something I'm going to sit on... Does it not leave a residue?

A lot of leather products are coated in either Polyurethane or PVC; here's a quick overview on types of leather:

http://www.compositionleather.com/glossary

Back