left exaust makes ground black

CvNapps

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Well today I purchased my first XS 650 bobber.... After a few minutes of idling i noticed the exhast was creating a black mark on the ground at the end of the pipe. First I thought it was oil. But when it cooled down I put my finger in the exhaust to find a black goo! that smells like gas??....... Any thoughts? And will I spend a lot to fix?....

Pull your plugs and inspect them. Any Fuel leaking from the carbs? How long did the bike sit before you bought it?

Def running rich.... at least on that side... clean plugs, while plugs are out, crank it a few times to purge any excess fuel from the cylinders, then give the carbs a good cleaning and adjust to specs... should get ya closer.. good luck

.. I suspected that it was running too I suspected that it was running too rich myself I just wanted to see what other people thought but sounds like an easy fix thanks again

I brought it to my mechanic today and he said that the carbs I have on my bike are way to big for my bike and don't belong on it.. He down sized the fuel jets as much as those carbs could go and it runs way better than it did but the bike is still consuming way to much fuel. He has told me to either find a stock carb or to possibly find a bigger needle to reduce feul flow. but it doesn't seem like I'm going to have any luck finding either one of those.

What carbs are on your bike? If you don't know then pics will help. Someone on here may know what they are.
Leo

Also, your air filters look too small. They may be impeding the air flow, choking it off, which would cause the bike to run too rich.

Show your mechanic that link above. It will explain to him how those VM carbs need to be jetted in order to work right on a 650. Judging by his comments on the carbs, I don't think he has much 650 experience and/or knowledge. "The truth is out there ....." as Agent Moulder used to say, lol. You and your mechanic just need to find it. He's not going to have much luck tuning that thing unless you do.

Also I'm not 100% sure if the carbs are either the vm34 carbs or the vm36 but I do know that they are two seperate carbs and the air filters are pretty big and have the mikes xs logo on them if this helps....and this mechanic is really good though I have to give him that .I've been going to him for a while he really knows his stuff especially older yamahas and hondas and he never let me down before....and at the same time I can't give the guy who owned the bike before me credit for putting the right setup on either.....So I'm going to definitely show him the link you guys gave me and I'm sure we will figure this out.....also I found a few possible stock carbs.... Maybe It would be easyier to just try to buy those??

Last edited:
Back