Left Handlebar Switches

yamahadon

XS650 Member
Reaction score
OK, here's a question for you experts: My '73 TX650 came with a left handlebar switch with two light switches -- on/off and low/high. Is this the original switch? I'm having difficulty findng an affordable replacement for that configuration, but I see a lot of similar switches -- ones with no on/off switch, just high/low, and ones with that "P" button down below, whatever that is.

Please educate me. Are other similar (and more plentiful/cheaper) Yamaha switches interchangeable with what I have?

The "P" is flash to pass. Not too common on usa bikes, but ive seen a few on crotch rockets.
Its intermittent hi/lo switch to get the cager in front of you to let you pass.

Thanks. I bought a new, aftermarket DT100 switch on EBay for $26. Looks identical; I'll let you know if it works!

Hi yamahadon,
On reading your #1 post I first had a WTF moment and then checked MikesXS catalog for clues.
Extrapolating from the XS650 switches in their catalog it seems your original switch was a one-year wonder.
Later year XS650s had the on/off light switch on the right hand side in the same unit as the killswitch.
If the DT100 switch don't fix things you may have to buy two switches to replace the dead one.

The DT100/175/250/400 switch from EBay arrived, and I was impressed -- it's a high-quality reproduction, especially for $26:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311669296561?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The only problem: The new switch has a lot more wires coming out of it than my original '73 switch . . .

I've managed to sort through the wires and get the horn, turn signals, and headlight on/off switch working, but I was still fiddling with the dimmer switch wiring when I ran out of male bullet connectors. Stay tuned for the final results.

Something to watch for, I don't know if the XS2/TX650 used a grounding contact in the left switch body, to ground the handlebar, so that the right switch has a ground path...

After many hours of anguish and much gnashing of teeth, I gave up on getting the dimmer switch operational (for now). I never ride at night anyhow . . . But overall, I rate the "$26 EBay Aftermarket DT Switch Experiment" a success.

Finally got the dimmer switch working! So, for the other two guys on this planet who own TX650s: The $26 EBay DT endure switch is a fully acceptable replacement for the original TX switch. Thanks, everybody who weighed in, with your ideas and help!

Back