Left Side Cover Install Problem

galt987

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I've had my left engine cover off for about a year while trying to find a new rotor. I finally got one and after replacing it I can't get the cover back on. The cover will not go flush with the clutch cable attached at both sides. It seems that it is getting pushed out about 1 cm by the push rod / worm gear. If i remove the cable I can get it to flush up. If the cable is attached at the cover it will go on but the cable at the bar end is so tight that i can't attach it to the clutch lever. With the cable attached at the cover and the cover installed the bike also seems to have a ton of extra engine pressure when i try to kick start it. It will start fine with the cover off. Any ideas on what is going on here. It's almost like the push rod is too long or something. I've tried all of this with two different side covers with the same result. I have tried this with two different clutch cables. The original and a new one from Mikes both with the same problem. The push rod and the right cover hadn't been touched after I originally removed the cover.

Last edited:
Did you happen to pull the pushrod out? If so, you may have put it back in backwards. One end is turned down and stepped so it fits into the worm gear. The other full diameter end won't and would hold the cover out like you're experiencing .....

PushrodEnd.jpg

Thanks for the reply! I don't remember pulling the push rod out until yesterday when I first tried to reinstall the side cover but it has been about a year since then so my memory is a bit foggy. I'll take a look at it tonight and repost.

Well, I had the push rod in the right way. I managed to get the side cover bolted on with the clutch cable attached but i had to start the worm gear in a different position to give it more clearance when the cable was attached. The cable attached at the bar lever snugly. The clutch lever seems to be functioning. I feel a good amount of pressure with no play and can hear the clutch moving in the right engine cover. Problem is that the clutch won't disengage (engage?? i'm not sure which way it works exactly). With the clutch pulled and the engine running the back wheel starts moving the second i hit the shift lever. See pic below for how I positioned the worm gear.

Attachments

• IMG_20110316_182629.jpg
    IMG_20110316_182629.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
0425100903-1.jpg

How it should be.

Dang Gary. Did you edit that? I hit reply and went looking for the photo and whenever I sent it. You had one posted up in your reply. I could have sworn there wasn't a pic in there whenever I looked?!

I went out to the shed found a cover and took the pic and uploaded it while you were typing! Sneeky SOB ain't I? YOUR picture is prettier however!!!!!
And you have a shiny new MikesXS cam in yours.

Thanks for the pics guys. The one i posted though was where I started the gear. With the spring attached it sits where those pics show. At first (when I couldn't get the cover on) I had the gear started at 12 o'clock instead of 3. I was just out in the garage and put the bike in gear, the wheel wouldn't move without turning the engine. Had a buddy pull the clutch and the wheel moved but it took some decent pressure. It seems like the clutch is doing something just not as much as it should. The pic is my old cover, I have a cleaner one on the bike now. Maybe it just needs to have the worm gear adjusted? Thanks for all the help by the way. I don't really know anything about bikes that I haven't learned by just trying stuff out, bustin knuckles, and screwing up.

Yes, adjust the worm gear. It needs to be done any time you replace a cable or sometimes even if you just remove the cover. And since you've swapped covers, I would definitely re-adjust it.

Thanks for the pics guys. The one i posted though was where I started the gear. With the spring attached it sits where those pics show. At first (when I couldn't get the cover on) I had the gear started at 12 o'clock instead of 3. I was just out in the garage and put the bike in gear, the wheel wouldn't move without turning the engine. Had a buddy pull the clutch and the wheel moved but it took some decent pressure. It seems like the clutch is doing something just not as much as it should. The pic is my old cover, I have a cleaner one on the bike now. Maybe it just needs to have the worm gear adjusted? Thanks for all the help by the way. I don't really know anything about bikes that I haven't learned by just trying stuff out, bustin knuckles, and screwing up.

Isn't that how most of us learn this stuff?:thumbsup:

Alright, I got her on the road! The problem turned out to be a sticky and poorly adjusted clutch. It turns out that I did start the worm gear in the wrong position. It needed to be started at the 12 o'clock position to give it the proper clearance at the rod. The reason the cover wouldn't go on was the worm gear on the new cover was adjusted way too far in. After adjusting the worm gear and working the clutch as I warmed up bike the clutch eventually broke loose. Thanks for helping a newb out guys! Can't wait to get back on the road!

Wow guys, this is a fantastic thread. Tonight, I will install my left side cover WITH cable, in preparation for actually trying to start and ride this bike soon. Glad to have seen the pics. Gary and Jimmy - you guys rock! I more or less remembered that (position of worm) from my old 79, but still - a good reminder.

Question: really, why does that left side cover even NEED a gasket? just saying...it holds no fluids in, and mine fits nice and snug without a gasket. Anyway, I do have a brand new gasket waiting for it, but still... it did occur to me, why does this thing even require a gasket.

Also do you all use gasket "sticky stuff", like 3 Bond on this particular gasket, or can it just be fitted by itself? I think the one on my 79 was just on there with no sticky stuff - this bike too.

thx!

Gasket? It does help keep water out of the alternator. I leave it dry and seldom replace one unless it fell apart on removal. Leaving it out will change clutch push rod spacing and might make removal later a bit more difficult. If you use ANY sealer use it on the cover side of the gasket only wouldn't be much fun getting the cover off with goop in both sides and NO fun at all scrapping the remains of a gasket and sealer off the engine.

Em, I do run a gasket between there, but on all of my gaskets I grease both sides before install. I don't put the sticky stuff on there. Something my uncle taught me whenever I was a kid.

I don't run a gasket, just adjust the clutch right and you will be fine.
A bit of water in there won't hurt much. I have the round alternator cover spaced out about 1/4 inch for better airflow to keep it cooler inside. Been that way for a couple years. No problems yet. Just check it out every once in awhile to see if the slip rings on the rotor are clean.

I did put that cover on today, with clutch cable and gasket, but oddly enough, the gasket didn't even fit exactly. Didn't allow for wires coming from alternator and brushes. So I just ripped that part off! lol!!!!!
It definitely is a bit trickier getting it positioned with clutch cable on.

Also something is wrong (I guess) with the threads at the front top screw on mine. A "short" screw won't catch a thread and a longer one of the screws won't go in all the way. So I'm not sure what's up with that. I guess I will cut down one of the longer ones with a Dremel.

Back