Left side exhaust hot Right side cool

Shabba

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Have done a lot of research on this and haven't really found any answers that I can use. Here is what I have :

78 XS650
new Pamco
New dual coil from mikes xs (kit)
New plugs
Gap on plugs set
Carbs jetted for pod filters
carbs bench synced
Mixture screws set 2.5
open exhaust with 4" baffles

The left side of the engine is HOT and the exhaust is hot out of that side as well.

The Right side of the engine is a lot cooler and the exhaust is cool.

I need to know if this can be caused by timing or is it carbs?

Thanks!

I would say your carbs are still not synced. A bench sync can be done very well .... if you know what you're doing. If not, it could be way off. Other than that, switch plug wires and see if the problem follows. Your Pamco and single coil should put out the same spark on either side. If it doesn't, plugs, plug wires, or plug caps are usually the problem.

it sure sounds like you dont have fire or fuel on the cold hole. if its running on just one hole it should be obvious by lack of power and by the sound.

do like 5twins says and let us know what happens?

if you have fire to the cold hole, then good. pull the pod and spray a bit of starting fluid in with throttle cracked. if it takes off running on the cold hole then you know you have to go back thru that carb and find out where it is plugged up.

if the cold hole still wont run the first thing i would do is a compression test on that side.i always like to know every thing is hunky dory with my compression to start with.

FIRE,FUEL AND COMPRESSION.

better than 95% of the time if the bike runs on one cylinder the problem is a dirty carb.
www.amckayltd.carbguide.pdf
Follow this carb guide to tear down, inspect, repair, reassemble and tune your carbs.
Leo

Back