left side to rich

WacoBrian

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
ok left is rich the carbs are synced
should i move the clip on the main jet up one notch?

full

You shouldn't mismatch needle clip settings between carbs (or need to). Check the float level on the rich side, also ignition stuff for that side (plug, plug cap and wire). Since you have a Pamco, the coil and timing should be good since they appear to be running the other cylinder correctly. Proper spark may just not be getting to the rich cylinder due to faulty plug, plug cap, or wire. A simple check for the wire and cap would be to swap them. Plug your now right wire on the left side and vice versa. Do the same with the plugs to see if the rich one will burn clean in the good cylinder.

main jets don't have clips, taper jets do....:wink2: Taper jets control the mid range
What was the bike doing before you pulled the plug? idling, mid range, WFO up a hill?
I would tend to suspect;
A. a leaky vacuum petcock
B. a leaky float valve / crud on seat.
C. mis-set float height
Z. one side needing a different taper needle setting than the other.:shrug:

Dump your float bowls in a catch container, run some gas through with the prime setting on the petcock, what's in the bottom of the container? You cleaned everything already? Do it again, trust me on this.
Dirty DIY trick; a quart oil bottle cut top to bottom so you have a narrow long catch bottle trim till it fits under the carbs, will make draining float bowls in place possible.
Not trying to be a smart ass, really, it's easy for me.:laugh:

You shouldn't mismatch needle clip settings between carbs (or need to). Check the float level on the rich side, also ignition stuff for that side (plug, plug cap and wire). Since you have a Pamco, the coil and timing should be good since they appear to be running the other cylinder correctly. Proper spark may just not be getting to the rich cylinder due to faulty plug, plug cap, or wire. A simple check for the wire and cap would be to swap them. Plug your now right wire on the left side and vice versa. Do the same with the plugs to see if the rich one will burn clean in the good cylinder.

kinda was i was thinking on the clips.
i will swap the wires see what it do

main jets don't have clips, taper jets do....:wink2: Taper jets control the mid range
What was the bike doing before you pulled the plug? idling, mid range, WFO up a hill?
I would tend to suspect;
A. a leaky vacuum petcock
B. a leaky float valve / crud on seat.
C. mis-set float height
Z. one side needing a different taper needle setting than the other.:shrug:

Dump your float bowls in a catch container, run some gas through with the prime setting on the petcock, what's in the bottom of the container? You cleaned everything already? Do it again, trust me on this.
Dirty DIY trick; a quart oil bottle cut top to bottom so you have a narrow long catch bottle trim till it fits under the carbs, will make draining float bowls in place possible.
Not trying to be a smart ass, really, it's easy for me.:laugh:

light just went on.. i think its B if i lleave gas on that side leaks. Doh
thanks for waking me up. and yea i hope its not oil

You have to adjust (bend) the float tab. Check the carb info under tech (link at ultimate top of page). While you have the float off, shake it to verify it's not filling with gas.

It's worth noting... your fuel level looks low. This would make it lean (tougher to pull the fuel that far up the emulsion tube).

You have to adjust (bend) the float tab. Check the carb info under tech (link at ultimate top of page). While you have the float off, shake it to verify it's not filling with gas.

yes its a good float, just not in the mode to pull the cabs and check float level

Back