Legendary cafe seat

Focal

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been trying to get that cafe look for my bike and I am taking it one step at a time. Done a few upgrades and then i decided the next step should be the seat. I've bought most of my stuff from mike's xs and their service has been great. Browesed their site and decided the legendary cafe seat was for me. They recommended the install kit for an extra $60 so I also got that. I was going back and forth on weather or not to get the seat with the brake light but opted for the one without.

Attachments

• IMAG0444.jpg
    IMAG0444.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 235
  • bike2.jpg
    bike2.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 243
Not much technical help, i realized i would have to remove the back hoop of the frame.

Attachments

• IMAG0451.jpg
    IMAG0451.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 268
  • IMAG0452.jpg
    IMAG0452.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 252
  • seatchop.jpg
    seatchop.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
after removing the rear i now had to think about how to mount the brake lights and tail lights. This is where i second guessed myself about buying the seat with the brake light in it. I pressed on and worked on mounting the seat kit. Mocking it up i thought the mounts were to high so i grinded them down to lower the seat closer to the frame. This pic is before i grinded them. Also had to cut a square section out for the battery, not for access (although that would be a good idea), but for clearance reasons.

Attachments

• IMAG0455.jpg
    IMAG0455.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 308
  • IMAG0457.jpg
    IMAG0457.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 261
  • seatkit.jpg
    seatkit.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
I should probablly note that i have zero fabrication experiance. Just your average xs enthusiast trying to make his bike look better, critique accordingly:D

decided to add a pan to the back so i can have something for my lights to hang on. Found a 1/4" steel plate traced on my pattern and used my grinder to cut to size. Then i used a 1/2" steel tubing and bent it in a vice to fit under it and slide into the frame of the xs. I don't know how to weld so i drilled and drilled and drilled, to connect the pan to the tube and the tube to the frame.

Attachments

• seatpan2.jpg
    seatpan2.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 230
  • seatpan.jpg
    seatpan.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 217
I've been looking at that pan as an option. I would have to make a new seat for it though. That little pad isn't going to cut it for me. Would you mind giving me a couple of dimensions? I was wondering how wide it is, and also the height from the top of the seat to the top of the hump. That would help me decide if I can make it work for me or not. Looking forward to the finished product. Are you going to lower it down over the rails?

the diffrence from the seat to the top of the hump is about 4 1/2", i would like to lower it to the rails but due to my old battery and fuse box i don't have the clearance. I am going to buy the smaller battery you can mount any way and then i will lower the seat more.

That is a bad ass bike c-los, wish mine looked identical.:thumbsup: I am going to attempt to make my own mounts, should be a head scratcher for me.

Found some old brackets to a computer power supply. I think they should work, also got a brake light off mikes xs

Attachments

• IMAG0466.jpg
    IMAG0466.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 197
  • IMAG0467.jpg
    IMAG0467.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 194
Got my brackets made and did a little spray painting, again lots of drilling i broke at least four bits. :mad: get what you pay for though. i like the look of this brake light.

Attachments

• IMAG0471.jpg
    IMAG0471.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 230
  • IMAG0470.jpg
    IMAG0470.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 210
  • IMAG0469.jpg
    IMAG0469.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 211
  • IMAG0468.jpg
    IMAG0468.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 203
well i am happy how it turned out, seat is a little rougher but overall i feel like i am getting closer to the look i want. Now i don't know what step is next, rear sets, gauges, battery box removal, ? the bars maybe could be flipped, any suggestions

Attachments

• bikebeach.jpg
    bikebeach.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 261
  • bikesteel.jpg
    bikesteel.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 265
An 18" rear wheel swap would be on my list. It still looks like a Special with that 16.

I've been looking for someone that has mounted this seat. I'm building a cafe, but right now, I am struggling how to mount this for a) easier removal, b) ride, c) looks. I've got the mounting kit and all...it would be nice if there was a little more info on the fact that the hoop has to be cut prior to installation.

Nice work for what you were working with.

I have an 82 - how do you remove the seat to begin with.

Hi Flormann,
stock seat on an '82? How long you owned this thing anyway?
Put the ignition key in the helmet lock/seat latch combo and turn it.
Pull the latch combo's unlock lever all the way back to unlatch the seat.
Lift the seat off.

Back