Lesters Swing Arm bobber, Brat type build thread

Here are some more shots of the welding bit of the first frame..... not bad for a machinist with a limping MIG welder....LOL. Oh well.... no worse then the original welds anyways.

full

full

full

all welded up....
full

Cann't wait to get a roller to see the stands of this thing... I'm about to piss my self...LOL
full

Oh yea... As I have mentioned I have an advert going for the bits I have been picking off the bikes...
I have only done a few sales and one trade.... two crusty fenders for one half crusty rim... good enough trade.
I'm not sure I will sure it yet but its nice to have an option... wish I had a 19" rim to match.
I think its am 650 rim if anybody has any info on the rim let me know... Obviously I will have to convert to drumb brake if I use it.

full

full

Yea that could be cool.... one build with 2x16" and the other with 2x19"...
The rims would have to be set up for disk thou... the drum eats up too much space.

Lester

That looks like a 650 rim Lester. I personally like the look of the drum setup. Not as much stopping power grant you but, its cleaner. Judging by the tools on the wall, it looks like you have some woodworking skills as well:thumbsup:

That looks like a 650 rim Lester. I personally like the look of the drum setup. Not as much stopping power grant you but, its cleaner. Judging by the tools on the wall, it looks like you have some woodworking skills as well:thumbsup:

I'll have a think about the rim... I like to stop too! I am far from a woodworker/carpenter but in Norway morst homes are timber framed with wood cladding and I do most work myself to keep the cost down.

Looking good lester!!

Posted via Mobile

Looking Good!

Thanks walterpunk and Mike V !

Here is a quick update guys

First off here is the monstercraftsman shock mounting bracket.... I thought I'd try to give it some life so I chucked it up in the lathe, machined both sides down some and then did "some" filing..... eh... don't know if I like it... what you think...? :shrug: I'll have to see how it looks welded to the frame before I make up my mind.

full

full

full

I also got the second frame and swing arm (mine) stripped... again alots of "ArmStrong", 10 feet of 80 gritt emory and a wire wheel.... it takes a good 5-6 hours.... SO BORING!

almost done here...
full

full

:thumbsup:

Thanks guys,
I'll have them welded up over the weekend... pic to come.

Yea a lathe and a mill is the shit to have in the garage. For me it was a must since I am a machinist gone office butt sitter engineer. I do miss the machines and equipment we had at my old job but I get by with the tooling I have. I'd love to get a TIG welder as well... its leaves a lot neater welds... when you get the hang of it mind you...LOL

Yeah, very nice on the mounts. The more detail the better. I have a mini lathe (12") that I'm learning on. Nice to have if you know what your doing. I however, do not:(. Made a couple of bungs so far and some practice shit. Wish I had the skills or someone to teach me. Very tough learning on your own.

I use chemical paint stripper on stuff like that , cuts the sanding down to a minimum. I used to buy furniture stripper , then I found a brand of carb linkage cleaner that works even better.

Thanks for the good words of encouragement guys, I need it, two bikes and spring breathing me in the back of the neck is kinda getting to me, a bit overwhelming. I need to get my head straight and on track!

Scrambled.... I know chemicals do the jobb well but I don't like chemicals especially at it time of year when I cann't work with them outside because of the temperature. Besides its pretty good excersize armstronging it.

Lester

Yeah, very nice on the mounts. The more detail the better. I have a mini lathe (12") that I'm learning on. Nice to have if you know what your doing. I however, do not:(. Made a couple of bungs so far and some practice shit. Wish I had the skills or someone to teach me. Very tough learning on your own.

If you have a lathe you are well on your way! A 12" lathe is great for bike stuff. You will need to get the basic tooling, there are also quite a few "Getting Started" books out there. Getting a machinist to come and help you and explain to you the basics is very good. Most guys I know will be happy to show up for some beer and a home cooked meal. You'd probably have a hard time getting rid of them....lol

PM me with a few questions if you like... I'll try to help you out. I also helps to find a beginners project to work with that is forgiving... some sort of tooling for the lathe perhaps. I can only help you in metric though.

Cheers
Lester
:thumbsup:

I have downloaded a bunch of videos and books on lathing but, with learning how to build a bike, building and repairing homes, raising a 17 month old and keeping the misses happy, it gets to be a bit much at times. Not that I'm bitching mind you, just need to figure out how to squeeze more hours out of the day. Appreciate the offer of help. If you or any of your friends want to make the trip over ill definitely provide the refreshments :beer:

Back