Let me introduce myself

Welcome Pete, The word around here is 18 for the rear on a cafe, and some say 18 front and back.
I'm shooting for 19 front and 18 rear for myself. "Hugh" says the Omars kit is alright with going with the wire spokes, But "Mule" disagrees and thinks the front hub is rediculouly weak, and one should only use a rear rated hub like a H.D. sporter or MX hub. A stock xs 650 drum hub is obviously ok too, definetly a classic look and probably the least expensive and or difficult.. Good luck.

Welcome Pete, The word around here is 18 for the rear on a cafe, and some say 18 front and back.
I'm shooting for 19 front and 18 rear for myself. "Hugh" says the Omars kit is alright with going with the wire spokes, But "Mule" disagrees and thinks the front hub is rediculouly weak, and one should only use a rear rated hub like a H.D. sporter or MX hub. A stock xs 650 drum hub is obviously ok too, definetly a classic look and probably the least expensive and or difficult.. Good luck.

I have rear discs and i like to keep them, and already have the extra front hub and i'm not a very big guy(155lb), is weight a big factor for the safety of the hub?
I agree with you,I think 18 rear is good, what width should i aim for?

Again thanks everyone for welcoming me here, now that I have your attention here is another question:
After I have the starter fixed and start it, if everything ok I’m planning to pull out the engine and have it soda blasted. Now should I change all gaskets and seals after or before soda blasting it? and those of u who had it done how should I prep for the soda blasting what to watch out for. I found a professional soda blasting company that will do it for $80 if I bring theme the engine. Here is their video:

for 80 bucks you can buy your own blaster from harbor freight, you just need the soda and a good high capacity air compressor.( i use 3 small portables linked together for mine) .....As far as the 18 in rim width, i think the stock size is 2.15, i here running a thinner tire is better for handling on the cafes..??? or maybe its just a classic thing to do.??? Supposedly the cafe prefered tire is 110/90/18. ?? But new bikes have huge tire widths. So its your call.

for 80 bucks you can buy your own blaster from harbor freight, you just need the soda and a good high capacity air compressor.( i use 3 small portables linked together for mine) .....As far as the 18 in rim width, i think the stock size is 2.15, i here running a thinner tire is better for handling on the cafes..??? or maybe its just a classic thing to do.??? Supposedly the cafe prefered tire is 110/90/18. ?? But new bikes have huge tire widths. So its your call.

I like the classic thiner look too. Thanks

Earlier today I've bought starter and kick start clips, now I got an email refund because the supplier doesn't have anymore, they've been discontinued. Could anyone point in the right direction where I can get them at a docent price? I would appreciate an input.

When I got my bike it came with a second bike in pieces, frame, mags, complete engine and frontend. I will rebuild my frontend so I decided to use the parts bike lower fork they look in better shape for polishing. So I toke theme off and that's what I found:

Attachments

• 2013-02-22_13-31-46_296.jpg
    2013-02-22_13-31-46_296.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 2013-02-22_13-31-54_330.jpg
    2013-02-22_13-31-54_330.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 2013-02-22_13-36-40_794.jpg
    2013-02-22_13-36-40_794.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 130
  • 2013-02-22_13-36-48_463.jpg
    2013-02-22_13-36-48_463.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 137
Someone tried to go for a stretched extended look, I’m no expert but this doesn’t look right. What do you guys thing?

You never know, the internal parts like the damper rod may be fine. Extras of those are nice to have because many of us do a thing called the "Minton Mods" to ours. It entails drilling out some of the oil orifices to make them a bit larger and improves fork action. If you have a spare engine then the clip you broke should be available from that. Heck, just pull that whole kick starter gear assembly out and swap it in. The other clip for the #4 starter gear usually isn't replaced, that's the one you bend tighter.

Back