Let's play a game called "What is That Noise" -Video Clue provided!

pnedac

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I got this bike a couple months ago and am almost done. Finally got it running, but when I got it the PO said I would need to fix the bendix gear and even provided me with a new one from MikesXS (even though it failed immediately). That is not important though. What is important is that now it will start, but not without this horrific sound. You tube clip is here for your pleasure.

Did I fail on the bendix repair? It DOES start even though I wasn't trying to mess with it too much in the video.

Does it just straight up need a new starter?

Clues and guesses greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Pat

Thank you Carbon. I guess I am still a little perplexed. The #4 bendix gear is brand new. The circlip was tightened as per the instructions out there. I guess what I am asking is how can it go wrong? It just goes in one way and does one thing. I certainly agree that this arrants further attention, but what exactly would I be looking for this time I go in there? New gear and circlip. Spring seemed to be working.

Could it be that the gear that it is trying to engage is part of the problem and not the #4 gear? I suppose anything is possible. I will certainly do whatever I need to in order to get it back on point. I went from a free spinning starter to at least it will start (even though it sounds awful).

Thank you!

Here is another video I made trying to show what I see in there. I am still getting erratic starting. Everything looks pretty good in here. I am not grasping the concept of what it is that might still be causing this issue. I just now put the cir clip back in the vice and gripped it even harder and I put it on a fish scale and I am getting 9 lbs of pressure (plenty, right?). I can only assume that this needs to be put back together again and see what happens.

Is anyone aware of how to test whether or not it is going to turn over properly without putting it all the way back together? I know I could just hit the button, but I assume just take out the plugs and put the clutch back on and see what happens? Just curious. This issue is getting tired.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Pnedac

Back