yea; Scott did send me here, I am in hopes that this site mite leave some of the political bs out and lets do bikes, after all thats what this is about. We all have views and I for one go to my bikes (ladies as I call them) just to get away from all the day to day bs. The other site also seemed like was being overrun with non riders asking some really out in left field questions. I dont mind answering someones questionm but not 50 times over and over again. I like some of the work I have seen here theres some nice iron on the site. kinda wonder what happened to russo havent heard from him in a couple years. Hey I have broken away from the topic here, lets see some bikes..

Mule - even though I don't typically care for your style of bikes.... I truly do appreciate the style and craftsmanship in your bikes. Like I said, even though I don't care for that style.

Here is a few photos of my 1981Xs650 that I am currently changing into more of a brat style. I rode it with the clubmans this past year and would like to hardtail my 650 but budget contraints prevents me from doing it this year. So I installed the handlebars and chopped fender and will be cutting the tail section, add shorter rear shocks, a new seat, and repaint the side covers and fuel tank. I have a headlamp bucket that accomodates a speedo and will work that in. Keep you posted on my progress...

BEFORE:
xs750-2.jpg

xs750-3.jpg

CAFFINATED:
100_0328.jpg

100_0327-1.jpg

START OF THE BRAT:
Brat-revised.jpg

Hey guys, This build had been posted to death, but since the sites it was on are now gone I guess one more time won't kill me :D p.s. I have since sold this bike and it now lives in Texas.

a few more of same, headlight I made out of old siren. The frame is 2" shorter then stock and I did a 42deg rake on the neck. I also have taken 2 1/4" out of the forks, you can see in last picture. Also last picture has bender in it that I used to make frame, no I really don't use my head :laugh:

nothing as fancy as what i've seen on here and others, but i've been making progress, it should be running in a couple of weeks, when i'll next have a chance to work on it. it'll be ready to ride before i will, it'll be more expensive to get my license than what i spent on the bike and parts... (and don't even get me started on registration).

i don't have very many good shots of it, the barn's rather dark.

Attachments

• IMGP1003.jpg
    IMGP1003.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 406
nice start to the project gordon,what kind of tube binder is that and where did you get it?do you like it and doese it work good sorry for all the questions:shrug:

basically to get it back up and running, and looking clean. I bought it late this summer, it had been sitting outside since '92. doing some upgrades while i'm at it, but besides having the wrong seat, it'll be basically stock, black instead of red, i like the look of the specials, as is, (i must be one of the few), so no impressive work being done. basically, it's going to be a commuter bike, i want it to look nice, but not attention grabbing, as i'm moving downtown.

i've already rebuilt the engine, bored it out to a 750 since it needed to be bored, and i got a good deal (cost the same as first oversize). the air boxes are rusted out, so it's getting pods (despite the mixed reviews). The pipes are solid, but the mufflers are rusted out, so a set of jobbers will go on for now, and i'll either paint or heat wrap the pipes to cover the less than attractive chrome. basically, you'll probably say it's a half-assed job, and it probably is, but i was never intending to "build" a "custom bike", just fix up a decent starter bike.

Last edited:
that's what i'm doing :) i've not posted much, but i've been lurking for quite a while.

Thank you, i've managed to learn a fair bit so far, from all of you, and back at 650rider.

Last edited:
nice start to the project gordon,what kind of tube binder is that and where did you get it?do you like it and doese it work good sorry for all the questions:shrug:
Hi Crash, It's a pro tools 105 Heavy duty model, spend the extra for the HD if going to get one. I love it! I have used the other big brand and like the pro tools more. Just google "pro tools" and there site will pop up :thumbsup:

Hi Bigpup, Ya I do miss it, I felt like I made a BIG mistake the moment it sold but you can't keep them all. Jimmy, I can't remember where in TX and don't know if he is on any forums? When the guy bought it the only thing he told me is it was going in a collection? It probably is hanging from cables in some bar or something as he only asked about cosmetics when he bought it, not how it rode or ran? p.s. it did both very well!

Back