My 82/77.
Not built by me, but I recon I will have overhauled everything by the time it's ready for an MOT. I was thinking putting on a hardtail but I'm quite liking the lines now. Front end is a little raked maybe by the billet yokes and I think the stanchions are a bit over.

Attachments

• chop3.jpg
    chop3.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 221
  • chop4.jpg
    chop4.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Back in 2011. Never seen the street as a cafe cuz lost the drive to finish. Recently I've gotten the itch. I don't have much left to do

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 247
Bertleopard, I like that VERY much! Very tasteful mods to make a unique bike without being freakish. Love the color too.

Because neither the factory's brown or green paint offered for the '74TX650A appealed to me, mine now wears '77XS650D livery. TPO had painted the tank and side covers, and the legend on the tank had been professionally painted (see first pic.) The '77 decals worked well, with a bit of filling-in with model paint and a fine paintbrush in the gap between the decals on the tank. Mods were mild, but included Mikuni carbs installed by probably Australia's XS leading authority. The rest include bronze swinging arm bushes, progressive fork springs, fork gaiters, a thinly-disguised 230mm Grimeca 4LS front brake(in a Morad rim that matches the original rear wheel beautifully) Girling look-alike shock absorbers, and Dunstall Decibel type megaphones. I'd prefer flatter bars, but routing the front brake cables from the Suzuki GT750J handlebar lever posed big problems, so the semi-flats I used are a compromise. It rides on Metzeler tyres. Mike's XS and Disco Volante, in the UK, provided most of the bits needed (including the beaut natural-gel handlebar grips.) It's not as high-tech or as quick as the current crotch rockets, but I defy those riders to grin any wider than I do when I'm on the Yam. It shares the garage with a '71 R60/5 BMW, which has now has accumulated 6,600 genuine miles since new. The airhead and the TX share attributes of reliability, easy maintenance and robust engines, and I ride my older bikes instead of my daily-ride BMWR1200RT when I want to remember why I started riding bikes in the late sixties.

Last edited:
Uploading pics mistake for previous post

Attachments

• IMG_0747.jpg
    IMG_0747.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_0772.jpg
    IMG_0772.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_0744.jpg
    IMG_0744.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0739.jpg
    IMG_0739.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_4024.jpg
    IMG_4024.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 244
Great looking Bike Jethro. Have you thought of color matching the shocks? I have a pair of MJB shocks that look similar. Again I love your bike.

Thanks for the compliment, tonyc. I won't colour-match the shocks - or have exposed springs - because the black shrouds are a key part of the 'look' I want. To me 'look' is an abstract concept which is something you recognise when it's not there. I was raised on Brit bikes in the late sixties, so I wanted the Yam remind me of that era, without actually detracting from the machine's intrinsic Japanese nature. Hence the fork gaiters. Black or chrome headlight shells and fork shrouds were common to many Brit bikes of that era, so were rubber tank knee grips, many of which may ultimately end upon the Yam.

Current status of my 82 Heritage Special modification with suzuki RMZ front end and TX750 swingarm and rear hub.

Making the brackets to mount the Ameracchi head light and the turn signals took some time but worked out OK in the end.

full

Unfinished project I got from a buddy. Re-wired, got the charging sorted, sorted the carbs, ignition, etc. just. About ready to go

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 233
Back